Interrogation of a Psychopath

Waiting for your fate while you're sitting in a room, locked to the floor and table, the only things visible are a camera in the corner, and a mirror on the wall. Adam didn't like this mirror. There was too much mystery about it. He knew it wasn't just a mirror, and that's what bothered him. He knew on the other side, someone could be staring at him. But that's the thing. Someone could be staring at him and watching his every move, but he couldn't see if there was or wasn't anyone there.

This bothered Adam. He always liked knowing his surroundings and being one step ahead of people. In this room, he wasn't sure of his surroundings. As he stared at the two way mirror, the door to the room opened and through it walked Captain Lance who sat across from Adam and put a recorder on the table. The captain then hit the red button, and began speaking.

"Adam Jackson you are here to give your testimony on the hostage situation that occurred yesterday March 15, 2124. If the information you give is actually helpful and informative to the Organ State Patrol, you will immediately be released from custody and be granted a full pardon for your crimes and involvement in the criminal acts that occurred. Do you understand and agree to what was just said?"

"Yes"

Adam said with a smug smile on his face. He knew he would be set free, and this satisfied him greatly.

"Okay, let us begin."

Captain Lance pulled out a yellow folder and began pulling out papers and photos to be placed on the table. After all of them were put down in a somewhat orderly fashion, he began speaking again.

"What was your involvement with the group that calls themselves Death Trap?"

Adam took a deep breath and began explaining.

"I was there to help keep the hostages on their knees, and make sure they cooperate with the man in charge."

Lance began writing the information down on a note pad.

"Okay and who was in charge when you first arrived?"

Adam glanced at the note pad and continued his testimony.

"It was a student of the school named Jake Lawrence."

The captain began writing things down, then pointed to one of the photos.

"Is this Jake Lawrence"

Adam leaned forward and looked at the photo before responding.

"Yes it is."

Lance nodded and continued to write.

"Okay, what happened when you and the other men involved went up to the roof?"

Adam began getting angry as he remembered what happened. The anger was getting fed by his frustration with the mirror.

"We were all told by the actual man in charge to retreat up to the roof. When we got up there to meet the other members of Death Trap, we waited until the man in charge arrived. After a few minutes of waiting, we heard an explosion and I was called over by Jake to help him. When I got over to where he was, I saw a hole in the roof. So, I helped Jake pull up our number one. When he got to his feet, he reached over, grabbed Jakes gun, and shot me with the stun setting on. When I came to, I was surrounded by you and your men and was tied up."

Captain Lance wrote down a couple more things on his note pad and then proceeded with the interrogation.

"You have mentioned this guy you call your number one, or your main guy. Who is he?"

Adam looked at the captain feeling more frustrated.

"I don't know. I thought Jake was the man in charge until yesterday."

The writing continued as the captain continued the interrogation.

"Ok and you had no idea they were going to leave you behind?"

Adam could feel his blood boiling as the captain asked him these questions. He felt like he was being purposefully humiliated.

"No sir, I didn't"

The captain wrote a couple more things down and then asked him his final question.

"On the day all this happened, you said something about Death Trap taking over the nation and enslaving all of us. Please explain how a group of teenagers would do such a thing, and how you came about this information if you clearly weren't in the loop of trusted henchmen."

Adam looked at the mirror again, then back at the captain. There was something about the captain he didn't like. He didn't trust him to keep his end of the bargain. After a moment's pause, Adam answered.

"One day, I was walking by one of the rooms in the building where we held our meetings and over heard Jake talking to someone. He said after we are finished at the school, we need to move on to our next plans to take over the nation. I couldn't figure out who he was talking to, but Jake was in total agreement with him. It wasn't until yesterday that I realized it was the real man in charge. I recognized the raspy voice. They said they would have to move quickly and get over to the east side of the country within a couple days without taking any planes, because the cops would know who most of them were."

The captain looked at Adam in disbelief. He reached over and hit the stop button on the recorder, grabbed the things on the table, and put them back into the folder. He then knocked on the mirror and began walking towards the door. When it opened, three cops came in and began trying to take Adam out of the room to be locked up.

"Whoa, what are you doing? I'm not done! We had a deal ass hole!"

Captain Lance looked over at Adam and responded to what was just said.

"Yes, we did have a deal. The problem is your information has to be valid and not a fantasy pile of bullshit. So we're done here, and you're getting locked up."

Adam glared hard at Captain Lance. As he was being carried out the door and down the hall, he yelled to the captain.

"YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS YOU BASTARD!! IN A FEW DAYS YOU'ER GONNA SEE ON THE NEWS THAT THE SENATE HAS BEEN TAKEN OVER, AND THE NATION WILL BE UNDER LOCKDOWN!! DO YOU HEAR ME YOU PIECE OF SHIT? YOUR ALL GOING TO ROT IN HELL FOR THIS!!"

The captain listened to every word and couldn't help but feel like he had made the wrong choice. What if Adam was telling the truth? But every time he asked himself that question, he quickly brushed it away with a different thought. A thought that said, come on. A group of teenagers couldn't take over the nation.........or could they?