Uneasy Thoughts for the Anxious

"We only have about a half hour left until we get to the station. How's the boy doing?"

Asked Captain Taftner as he looked back at Olivia and Lauren who were sitting on each side of Aiden trying to keep his fever down with some ice. Olivia answered.

"His fever has dropped quite a bit. I don't know how long it will stay this low, but he should be ok."

The captain still didn't like having the boy in the car, and made sure he kept a close eye on him in case he woke up and tried doing something crazy.

"How do you know this boy again?"

Lauren looked at Olivia after her dad asked this question. Lauren could tell he didn't like Aiden because he kept asking questions. Olivia simply answered without too long of a hesitation so Taftner wouldn't get suspicious.

"He goes to our school. Lauren and I have history with him."

Taftner glanced back at them through the rearview mirror.

"I see. How did you two meet him?"

Lauren was hoping her dad wouldn't ask this question, but knew Olivia was good at answering awkward questions without seeming awkward herself.

"I met him one day after school my freshman year. He was on his way out the door and he held it open for me because my hands were full. I didn't make it very far past the door when I dropped my books. He ran over and helped me pick up my stuff, and we started talking."

Olivia was trying not to give all of the information, but Taftner seemed relentless.

"So you and him just became good friends after that or what?"

Olivia looked at the captain and responded once again to his question.

"Actually, him and I began hanging out at lunch, and I introduced him to Lauren. After a few weeks of hanging out, we realized we had a good connection with each other. One day he finally got the guts to ask me out."

Taftner looked at Olivia with a large amount of curiosity.

"So you and him are dating?"

Olivia looked down at Aiden and answered yet again.

"Not anymore. We dated for about a year and things just weren't working out, so I told him it was time to move on with our lives for a while. He got a little upset and ended up changing his classes so we didn't have any together. This is the first time I've seen or heard from him since then."

Victoria looked over at the captain. You could hear the sadness in Olivia's voice when she said the last sentence. Taftner looked back at Victoria and knew he shouldn't ask anymore questions, but wanted to know as much about Aiden as possible.

"That seems a little extreme, changing your classes to avoid you and never speak to you again. Why would he do that if he's such a nice guy?"

Olivia didn't speak this time, she just shrugged. Taftner saw her do this and realized she was done talking about it, so he dropped the subject. Olivia looked at Aiden and closed her eyes. She started thinking about their time together as a couple. Those were some of the happiest memories she had, but knew that all that happiness would remain memories forever.

When she opened her eyes and glanced at Lauren, and saw she wasn't looking. Olivia reached over and grabbed Aidens hand and softly squeezed it hoping he would wake up soon. She wasn't able to hold his hand very long because Lauren looked over to talk to her. When Lauren began speaking, Olivia quickly retracted her hand and put it in her lap. Unfortunately, Lauren saw Olivia do this and out of respect for her friend, she didn't bring it to her attention.