Semi-Finals :: Entries

DISTRICT 6 FEMALE: MARISSA CLAIRE

Song: Final Frontier (Thomas Bergersen)

The triangular tube slid down over Marissa, and slid down into the previous room. She looked around, and waited for the walls to lift up. She looked up, and suddenly saw a tube starting to push out an odorless orange gas. Marissa held her breath, desperately trying to avoid breathing in this possible death trap. She felt the need to cough, and it was forced out of her. She accidentally took a breath.

As soon as she inhaled, she opened her eyes to a new place. She looked around, slowly recognizing the place she was in. Home. Before her parents passed, it was the only place where she felt safe. Smiling, Claire took a step towards the door. The door swung open, and two small girls ran out, one slightly taller than the other. Marissa noticed the taller one as her sister, but couldn't figure out the other one. She thought it could be her.

Kay ran out, chasing the other girl with brown curly hair. "Hey," a voice said. Marissa looked over, and saw her older sister next to her. Marissa smiled. Even though her sister had been a nuisance, she still loved her. It was even better now that they were both home.

"Hey," Marissa responded. It had been a long time since they had been together in such a happy place.
"I um...I'm confused as to why I'm here." Kay sighed.

"You'll see." There was a silence except for the sound of children laughing.

"I'm sorry," Kay said.

"For what?"

"About Eva. I know you would've wanted it to be you two." Marissa shrugged. She couldn't do anything about it, no matter how much she hated it. She was exhausted from emotions, and this place was a little slice of heaven for her. She hoped that Eva was in a better place.

A sound quickly shifted her attention back to the girls. One was crying, caught in a net. It was Kay.

"Kay!" The girl cried out. Marissa gasped, as she realized what this was. It was a memory.

She remembered exactly what happened. If it really was what happened, that would mean...

"Hey! Kid!" Marissa's head jerked over to the left of the girls. They were barely out of the front yard, the unknown girl kept next to her friend's side. The voice belonged to an older man, one wearing an all white outfit. A Peacekeeper. One without a helmet. The girl's lip trembled. She knew this person was not to be messed with. She opened her mouth, and spoke.

"We're sorry, sir. We were just playing, and we-"

"Are you aware that you are on the Capitol's property? You will take punishment. Do you understand?" Her eyes watered up, and a tear slowly dripped down her face.

"Sir, I need your help. My sister is caught in here." He looked down at Kay. Marissa gasped. The girl was her. She remembered now. This was the cause of her parent's death. Her parents were forced to work overtime as punishment for their daughter's mistakes. The peacekeeper walked over to them, crouched down, and swiftly pulled out a pocket knife, pointing towards six-year-old Marissa. He chuckled as she flinched, then started to cut the net.