Task 5: Team 2 (Justin Connor & Darius Lionel) Entries

DISTRICT 9 MALE: JUSTIN CONNER
&
DISTRICT 10 MALE: DARIUS LIONEL

Darius steps onto the circular platform in front of him, ignoring the animal's incessant tugging at the back of his mind. It's an animal, not a person, he reminds himself, wondering what on earth has happened to his old cruel self and why there is this unexplainable will to pay attention to what the cat has to say this time.

The moment he steps in, it shoots up so quickly he almost loses his balance, and is once again enough to distract him from keeping his mental barrier in tact.

"Treasure the moments you have with me."

Darius glares haughtily at the cat, expecting some nasty remark to follow, but she simply paws at the ground uncomfortably, as if dreading something that's about to happen next. Ignoring her, he blocks her out again as the glass surrounding him goes down - he's reached the top.

The "top" is a large room separated with a thick glass panel cut diagonally across. On the opposite side is Marissa Claire and Eva Gonzales, which means on his side there is...

"Darius!" Justin exclaims brightly. Even though Darius left him alone in the last room, he decides it will be better to put on a friendly front, or this may not end well. After all, one should always try to make the best out of every situation.

Darius' heart plummets when he sees Justin. One encounter was enough for him already, and now Justin has to be his ally? Now he'll never get the chance to lay his hands on the boy who seems to be in love with his cat. True enough, the cat leaps off the platform, rubbing her head against Justin's leg. Well, he shrugs, stepping forward. At least I'll get to murder the ladies.

The moment he leaves the platform he senses something has gone wrong. His mind is filled with thoughts and memories of Justin. Fainter still, like something tugging at the back of his mind, there are thoughts that seem...girlish. He glances over at the other side of the glass, where the two tributes seem to be discussing intently with each other. He realises he can actually hear every single word of the conversation in his head.

Justin, meanwhile, is struggling with problems of his own.

"Hello."

Shock and pleasant surprise fills him when he hears this. The voice is feminine, and he soon realises its source. His mouth falls open in surprise.

"Are you...? No, it can't be." He tries to assure himself that he is most certainly still perfectly sane, and not going crazy. Him, talking to a cat? He could've sworn the cat grinned as she nods her head slyly.

Justin's eyes widen as he takes all this in. The cat can understand him, and he can understand her! He glances at Darius and can't help opening his mind up to him, trying to get a glimpse off what he is going through now.

Only...he disappointingly can't seem to. He pushes harder, not believing what is happening to him. His heart starts to pound, not wanting to take in the reality. Then he catches sight of the girls opposite him. The fire girl - Eva - he saw at the bloodbath isn't the one playing with fire anymore. It's the other one. But how?

The two boys' eyes meet at the same time, both wondering the same thing. It is Justin who notices the note first. He bends down to pick it up, his brow creased.