Nicole (L): "An Angry Encounter"

I stare at the cracked mirror pleased with what I see. I wear a nice pink shirt with gold sequins on it. I wear one of my cute sweaters over the top. I'm proud to say that all my 'muggle' clothes are attractive and fitting to my figure. All my sweaters cost more than thirty dollars. Any cheaper then you'd have to get muggle clothes at Walmart... gross.

No I should cut the sweater, I think staring at the outfit. Summer wear not winter wear. Could this pass as summerly? Sure but only if I bag the sweater. Not cool in a summer look. I bat my eyelashes and apply a thin layer of makeup. Not too much but not too little, great.

"Nicole! Nicole are you ready?" I hear my dad call, "We're going to diagon alley to buy school supplies now!" I sigh. School, fine. Diagon alley, fine. Going shopping with my weird dad and strange older sister? Not fine. Not fine at all.

Luna says something then, her soft, fluty, sorta pretty voice echoing through our odd home. "Come on Dad, Nicole doesn't want to talk to us right now, she's just too polite too say so." Wrong Luna. I was going to say that, but think what you want. I don't care.

I turn back to my reflection. Now for hair and accessories. I can't do too crazy hair, it doesn't suite me as it does Veronica. Where is V anyway? She's not calling up for me to hurry... maybe she's busy with some craft or something. She does like building models. Whatever, worry about V later. Now for the hair. Ponytail, bun or down? I look at the outfit I'm wearing in contemplation. Having my hair down would look great with the style I've chosen for today. However, it is windy right now, and getting a mouthful of hair never looks attractive. The wind would blow my hair round and might make it tangle. Best go with the ponytail. That would show off enough hair and lower the risk of having hair in my face. Now for the accessories... bracelets. Definitely.

About half an hour later I rush down the stairs. "V! Nuna? Dad! where are you guys?"

"We're in the kitchen!" Veronica calls to me, answering my question. I love Nuna, dad and all that but I think Veronica's the best person in my family. Maybe I could be near that position too? I don't know. I'm sorry to say that dad and Luna aren't really that... cool. Nuna was in the papers for breaking and entering into the ministry of magic. Well, I think she should be arrested, but apparently she worked with Harry Potter and his weird friends to 'capture' the death eaters. Like I needed to see Lucius Malfoy's face plastered over the papers to know he's a death eater. Every time I've seen him in a store or something, he's rude to everyone.  He's just the kind of person you'd expect to be a death eater. I enter the shabby kitchen, feeling ashamed to live in such a place.

'Shabby' is the perfect description of the large and peculiarly shaped room before me. The walls are white but they're so filthy they could be grey. Windows are large but dirty and the biggest one overlooking the back garden has a long crack that stretches from the top of the large glass pane to the bottom of the window frame. The splintered wood of the large door leading to the outside world permits sunlight to enter our poor excuse for a house. The place may as well screw air conditioning. We have so much mold we probably don't need air filtration and all that. Well we do need it I guess. Heat is terrible for hair products... well magic ones anyway. Our house was once a muggle something or other, I mean only V would care about that kind of thing but, I know that that's probably why it's in such a mess. Muggles are so... sucky? They don't know a thing about anything. How do they live without Hagatha Hair, Magic Happiness or WWW's wart and pimple be-gone creams? Their lives must totally suck.

"Luna helped Veronica make a nice breakfast for us, Nicole." My father says grinning, taking me out of my thoughts.

"Veronica did most of the work." Luna tells me cheerfully, "But with each helping hand in a meadow, comes an extra seed!" Again, Nuna with her sayings that make no sense. I roll my eyes, sometimes I just want her to shut up. I sit down next to Veronica. Pancakes. I start munching mine, savoring the delicious flavor.