iii.

are we meant to be together?

that's what people say about me and him.

because we're the same height;

we're both asian;

we both wear glasses;

oh did i mention because we're both really short?

i don't like him though.

at least i still didn't want to.

✕  

"Seriously Mae, why don't you like Jasper?" Minhee asked.

"Oh! Or maybe she actually likes him but she doesn't want to be suspicious, so she acts like she doesn't like him!" Hannah said with enthusiasm.

"You guys are perfect together, seriously! You're both the same height, you're both brown, you both wear glasses, you're both really chubby...how are you not perfect for each other?"

"I find him rude, chubby...insulting...I just don't like him."

"Face it. We're all Team Jasper. So we're just going to wait until you fall in love with him." Mae rolled her eyes and grabbed her stuff, putting her English binder in her backpack and then walking to the lunch line.

"Did we go too far?" Moni asked softly, surprised at Mae's sudden reaction.

"I think she's just surprised," Lucy replied, knowing that Mae would act exactly like that. Jasper watched as Mae's eyebrows furrowed in concentration as she pulled out a dollar bill and paid to buy a cookie.

"Hey, Mae!" he called out when he saw her walking through the other door.

"Do you need something, Jasper?" Mae asked bitterly.

"No...I just wanted to say hi to you," he said with a smile on his face.

"Hi, Jasper."