Chapter 3

As I finish I stay for a while to talk to Aya and she smiles. "You gonna stay here tonight?" She smiles at the question "sure. I'd rather not go home or I'll get a lecture." I smile even though the subject is touchy and sad. Her parents never liked that she wanted to hang out with me more than family. I understood because her parents were strict on her as she was an only child like me. My father left at a young age and hers was never very supportive. We put our dishes in the sink and mom goes to bed early. "I suggest you do the same" she warns "we'll be leaving early in the morning." "Sure" I retort sarcastically "cause we don't need sleep." She gives me an evil look "come here so I can smack you" she jokes. I know she wouldn't but if I taunted her any more she might so I don't say anything else. "Yes, Mrs.Flie" Aya responds obediently with a persuasive smile "I just need to ask Dragon something then we'll go to sleep." Mom turns to her room and opens the door "just be sure to turn out the light when you do." The door closes behind her and I look at Aya "how do you do that. Every time." She chuckles but her smile fades and her expression turns serious. I know something's up. She never looks this serious with me unless it important so I can feel my smile fade as well. "Are you alright" I ask, even though she's clearly not and will probably smack me for asking later. "Would you still love me if I told you what I am" she whispers under her breath to make sure no one hears it but me. "What are you talking about" I ask in pure confusion and slight anger "if course I would." She smiles and acts like she never asked "never mind that. Let's go to bed." I can't help worrying but I don't pressure her "yeah" I say, almost disheartened by the disregardance. "Well, goodnight, dragonfly" she says and wanders off to the guest room. "Night" I whisper but she's already in the room "Cala lily." I want her to be with me through the night. I realize the thought and try to shake it out of my head. No,no,no! I can't think of her like that. I walk to my room and lay on my bed with a sigh. Staring up at the millions of glowing splatters of paint on the ceiling, I start to fall asleep. I wake up to mom and Aya banging pots and pans to get me up "alright, alright" I yell "I'm up, okay?!" They stop and I sit up to glare at them. "Well" Aya says with a smile "bout time, sleeping beauty." I push the covers off "shudup" I say tiredly and yawn. Aya throws me a tank top and running jacket fitting for the long journey to the temple in the middle of the island. She smiles and skips out of my room, closing the door behind her.