Chapter 26

I lay in silence and start to fall asleep but my hearing heightens before I do and I hear the quiet breathing and now calm pitter patter of the heartbeat outside my door. He's still there. I open my eyes for a split second but close them again to listen. "Why is it," he whispers to himself "this feeling in my chest like I have known you forever?" He sighs and walks slowly down the stairs. What does that mean?  I try to push it from my mind so I can sleep but no matter how I try my train of thought continues. I lay down and let my mind wonder. I hear a crash outside my door and get up. Leaving my room I find Micheal dressing up but as he walks down the stares with a mischievous smile I see the one I know in the mirror banging on the glass. "let me out" he screams silently "let me out!" His eyes lock onto mine, pleading for release "help me." My eyes flutter open to morning light and birds chirping while I never even realized I had fallen asleep. I sit up and look at the clock. 6:27? I overslept. I hear the jostle and bustle of people downstairs and the smell of cooking flows in the air. I start to fall asleep again and jump when I hear a knock on my door "Amica" Rea's voice resonates through the door. She knocks again but doesn't wait for a response and instead opens my door "get downstairs, now" she orders "there's someone who requested you." I jump out of my bed to stop her before she closes the door "someone" I ask "who?" She shakes her head "just get downstairs before I kill her." Her? Could it be? I shake the thought. It couldn't. No one would want to kill her, she's not annoying. If it's not her who would it be? I think as I walk down the stairs and a shrill voice answers my question "Dragon!" A small redhead forces me a few steps back "I missed you, I missed you, I missed you" she squeals as she rubs her face in my side "Kella" I say in annoyance as I push her back. I sigh when I see her face covered in grime "what happened to you?" She shakes her head "I was outside in the rain but it got really bad and mommy pushed me but when I woke up she wasn't moving." I look down and take a shaky breath "I'm sorry." She shakes her head quickly and hugs me again "no, I'm happy. I get to see my Dragon again." I let her cling to me. Although I want to ask her where Skylar and Kaden are, I strain to stay silent. "She came in about the same way you did except" she says and studies me "well, minus the injuries." I look down at her "so you mean she was practically thrown in here?"