Korean names - 한글 이름

In this lesson we will learn about, korean names - 한글 이름 - hangeul ireum.

There are 3 names in a korean name, but sometimes only two. The surname, personal name and generational name. The two-names consists of surname and personal name.

Let's take the name Jeon Jungkook. You know, the member from BTS.

His surname is in the beginning of his name. Jeon - 전. And his generational name is in the middle of his name. Jung - 정. And his personal name is in the end of his name. Kook - 국.

The whole name together is, Jeon Jungkook - 전 정국.

But in some names, the personal name and generational name can be switched around. Like 전 국정 - Jeon Kookjung.

You know the twins from the KPOP group, Boyfriend? There is a twin pair in Boyfriend.

Youngmin and Kwangmin. 영민 & 광민.

Their surname or family name is Jo - 조. And you can tell, that their generational name is Min - 민. And their personal names are Young and Kwang - 영 & 광.

So, how do we know if the name is a girl or boy name?

If the name have slightly names, like 수 (soo), 하 (ha), 아 (ah/a), 애 (ae/aeh), 래 (rae/raeh), or 리 (ri), then it's mostly girl names.

And if the name have deep or strong names, like 광 (kwang/gwang) , 정(Jeong/Jung), 군 (kun/koon), 면 (myeon) or 짐 (Jim), then it's mostly boy names.

Does every korean name have a meaning?

The most korean names, are taken from chinese words. So the most korean names have a meaning in chinese.

But not all korean names have a meaning.

You know G-Dragon from the KPOP group Big Bang? His name is 지용 - Jiyong.

지 - Ji, don't have any meaning.

용 - Yong, means dragon in korean.

And if you read Ji, it sounds like the letter G. So his name is G-Dragon - 지드래곤.

If you want to make your own name in korean. You can make it yourself.

You know Baekhyun from EXO?
백현 - Baekhyun.

백 - baek ( baek in korean means 100)

현 - hyun ( hyun in korean means Prefecture)

All you need to do, to make your korean name, is find some words in korean or chinese and make them to a name. Just like Baekhyun. Which could mean, 100th Prefecture. It can also mean wise and virtuous.

So, how was this lesson about 한글 이름 - korea names? Was it useful?
If there is anything you want to know about, then tell me in the comments!