Visiting South Korea? part 2 helpful/important!!!

SOOOO I can't believe I've reached 100!!!! chapters on this book. I would like to thank you all so much for supporting this! For this 100th chapter special, I'll be giving you some very important advice/tips in case you're planning on either visiting or living in South Korea!!

If you are planning on visiting South Korea or maybe even living there, here are some things that you'll need to know. Some of these things are basically tips, while others are things that you should be careful of. I'm sure this is going to be helpful, so be sure that you know these!

1. If you are planning on living in Korea, then you must know that you have to pay a deposit and then the actual rent pay. The deposit is bascially a bigger amount of money that you have to pay for the apartment in case anything needs fixing in the future or if you forget to pay rent, then they will use the deposit money. You'll get the money back when you move out again, but only the amount that's left from that deposit. Usually contracts last 2 years and then it gets more expensive to live at the same place, so you'll probably have to look for a new place before those 2 years pass. ALSO, be quick to decide where you want to live. It's not like in the West (and maybe other parts of the world) where you have time to think about the place. Apartment buying is done really quickly in Korea. You should know right away if you like the place or dislike it and say it right away instead of wasting time. Also if you like the place you should say yes and get it immediately, otherwise the place will be sold very fast. 

2. A typical housewarming gift in Korea is ... toilet paper! (for some reason) So don't be surprised when your Korean colleagues or friends buy you toilet paper.

3. In Korea, there is this cultural thing about shoes. There are "inside" shoes and "outside" shoes. The difference is that inside shoes are typically slippers that you only wear inside. And then the "normal" shoes that you wear outside the house. Koreans are very strict about this cultural thing. You should NEVER wear outside shoes inside. Not even in your own apartment. The landlords are very strict about this. In Korean apartments, there will be this small step in the entrance when you enter an apartment. This step separates the "main" living area from the entrance. You can only wear your outside shoes in the entrance area and when you step up on the "living" area of the apartment, then you MUST take off your outside shoes and put on some slippers or just walk with bare feet or socks. 

4. This one is very important! Be careful of cults on the street. Usually, when these cults notice that you're not Korean, they would try to trick you or guilt you into paying something you shouldn't. They would tell you "Oh can you please do this and that?" and try to lure you somewhere. NEVER give them your phone number because they will spam call you. Just ignore them and walk on or say no and WALK ON. Don't talk to them. Don't respond. Just WALK AWAY. 

5. Busses. Busses in Korea have a system with two doors, like many of us know from our own countries. The difference is, though (to some of you), in Korea, there is a door for entering (front door) and a door for exiting (back door). You should never use the back door to enter the bus. You'll definitely be yelled at by the driver or someone else, trying to get out of the bus. 

6. If you're a foreigner in Korea, don't be afraid of people staring at you. People are going to stare, but they don't mean it rudely. They're just not used to seeing a foreigner (and that usually applies to older Koreans). This will mainly happen in smaller towns, because people in the big cities like Seoul are used to tourists. 

7. Receive and give things with two hands IF THEY ARE STRANGERS OR ELDERS. It's a way of showing respect and politeness. It's another cultural thing. Also NEVER point at elders or strangers. You have to point with your whole hand - even TWO hands. 

8. Don't reject something you're given - especially by elders. It's a sad thing when you're picky about food, because you have to accept whatever you're given to show respect. If you reject something given to you by a Korean, it's like rejecting their friendship, and they'll be very offended. Make up a white lie about being allergic or take it and say you'll save it for later, then get rid of it. *wink wink*

9. Google Maps is a no-go in Korea. You'll get lost instead of finding your destination. Get Kakao Map or Naver Map. Those two apps are for South Korea and will help you much more than Google Maps. 

10. Don't be surprised if people don't hold the door open for you! Unlike what you're used to, Koreans won't show that same gentle act. And it's not to be rude!

11. Spitting on the streets might shock some of you. But if you're going to Korea, you're going to experience this A LOT. So be careful where you walk ;)

Again, thank you so so much for all the love and support for this book! I appreciate it!

감사합니다!!