XXVII: Honor

"Good work, men. That's all for today." I sheath my sword and head back to the tent where commanders reside. Jacob was restringing his bow, others were drinking in merriment, but Andrew was no where to be found. Although, in the two months that I have been assisting in the training process, we haven't talked much. In the beginning it was fine, we saw each other and conversed on a daily basis; I assumed we were getting back to how we were. I was mistaken. Now I only see him when we awake. We always get in at different times and the way the training camps are arranged, we don't even see each other most of the time. It tiring really. I used to make time out to see him, but he'd always cast me to the side, so now I don't even bother.

On the brighter side of things, I have made friends of the other commanders. Well, the ones that take me seriously, that is. Overall, it's been a grueling experience. My men didn't even take me seriously until recently.

"You look like you're in need of a drink," Jacob speculates.

I scoff, "Of course. When am I not?"

He laughs and begins to pour me a drink. I throw down my sword by my feet and sit in the chair beside him. "Andrew is still out?"

"It seems so. I haven't seen him since midday." I sigh and take a drink. "How was your day with the men?"

I roll my eyes. "Better than before. Still, it's a challenge to get through to them. It's like he assigned me to the worst men on purpose."

"No, I don't believe so. You're a tough woman, amazing skilled in combat. You'll make them into the most skilled group of troops, I know it."

"Kind words, but the whole region knows that you have the highest rank. You're second in command, behind the king. There's no way my men can surpass yours."

He smiles. "I suppose you're right, but there's no denying how incredible you are."

Before I can reply, disrupting shouts could be heard from outside, grabbing our attention. With in moments, Andrew storms in, disheveled and out of sorts. His tunic was open and falling of his shoulder, half tucked out of his trousers, and his hair was unkempt.

"Is all well, mate?" Jacob was the first one to speak up.

"Just fine," he responds, walking over to his trunk. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"Well... The shouting for starters. Not to mention you look dreadful."

"No worries. I'm well, brother," he assured. He walks over to me and quickly kisses my cheek. He reeks of alcohol and sex. Mostly the ladder. That's all he said before leaving again.

Jacob must of smelled it on him too. "Arabella... Are you—"

"I'm fine. I just...I can't be here anymore."

"I understand. I'll escort you back to the castle."

"You don't have to. I can manage."

"But I want to... I insist."

All I did was nod. I gathered my things and left the tent without a word. Jacob calls after me since I've left him behind to get to my horse.

"Really, are you okay?" He pants, finally catching up.

"Yes, Jake."

"Jake? No one else but my mother has called me that..."

"Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to—"

"No, no, it's alright. I actually like you calling my that," he smiles.

It's a beautiful night. There's a nice enough breeze that it's not cold on the ride back home. The stars practically light up the entire sky. I almost forgot about Andrew. Almost.

"Thank you, Jake—for everything. You've been nothing but kind to me."

"It's no problem. I'm aware Andrew can be an ass sometimes, but not like this."

"I should've saw this coming anyway," I admit, leading the horse back to the stable, "I haven't given him a son. He mustn't be thrilled."

"That's no excuse. He should still treat you right. Just because he's royalty, doesn't pardon him from keeping a monogamous relation with his wife."

"That's just it. Because he's royalty, it's over looked. It's what's accepted in our world," I explain. I look up at him and he's frowning. "What?"

"It's not right."

"It's just the way it is."

He sighs and walks towards me. "I wish it wasn't."

"Why? It makes no difference."

"It does. He should be held accountable for infidelity. You shouldn't have to be treated this way." I'm caught by surprise when he cups my chin, having me look him in the eyes. "You're too perfect for that." He presses his forehead to mine, and for a moment I close my eyes, in wait for him to kiss me. But he doesn't. He just lets go.

"You're an honorable man, Jacob."

"I only do what's right, my queen. I'll see you in the morning." He bows and leaves me alone in the quiet stables. I sigh and rub my face. I wish he did kiss me. Not as revenge towards Andrew, no. For myself. Jacob has been nothing be good to me, especially as of late. He's a good man. But his honor shows through. Maybe it's best he didn't kiss me.