VIII: Well Look Who It Is...

Since the gala, Andrew and I have been getting along wonderfully. We've maintained lengthy conversations, we've shared quite a few laughs, we even held hands for a moment as we strolled through the gardens. I've grown awfully fond of him. I could tolerate marrying him.

I've been cooped up in the castle since the day I arrived. I have yet to leave the grounds. But not today. Back home, Alexander and I would go into town and socialize with the citizens and purchase goods from the markets. I would laugh and play with the little children, tell them stories. I had made friends with the young blacksmith apprentice and and his sister. I made sure to tell them farewell before I left and gave them gifts. I miss Frarland and Helvana already... Anyway.

Alexander had ordered a carriage to be ready for us and we gathered what we needed for our day out. A coachmen helps me inside and Alexander climbs in afterwards, sitting beside me rather than across. He takes my dainty hand in his larger, more muscular hand, bringing it to his lips. He keeps my hand in his, placed on his lap as he rests his head on my shoulder.

I sigh. "It's been quite some time since we have spent time like this, Brother, hasn't it?"

"Indeed, my love. We must cherish this time that we have. It's not much longer before you are wed."

"Yes, I know."

"Do you like him yet?"

"Yes, actually. He's a lovely companion, but I don't view him romantically quite yet."

"Ah, but quite is the key word, dear."

"Well," I smile and blush a bit. "He is quite charming. But I don't think I truly fancy him."

"He is quite the silver tongue, isn't he?"

"You don't happen to have a crush on him, do you?" I laugh.

"What?! No!"

"I don't know, brother. I've seen you two together an awful lot..."

"He is to be wed to you, my sister! We are to be brother-in-laws!"

"I'll just keep an eye out," I taunt.

He frowns and threatens, "I should wipe that smirk off your face."

"Oh, come on," I ruffle his brown curls. "Don't get your trousers in a twist."

I look outside the carriage to see the beautiful scenery. Lovely greens and browns. Seabirds flew high in the sky, going to the water for their next meal. It was a beautiful sunny day with a breeze. I love it when it's like this. It's always so hot down here in the south. It's almost unbearable. But this day was delightful.

Alexander sat up straight, looking around at our surroundings. "Stop right here, good man!" We're basically in town. A few people can see the carriage, but not many, so we won't draw too much attention. The coachmen helps me out and I take a deep breath. Alexander and I both put up the hoods on our cloaks to help us somewhat blend in with the masses.

The two of us link arms and walk down the dirt path, heading straight for the market place. I look around, some people rushing about and some taking their time. The stone and brick buildings tall and beautiful, all colored an off-white. Some roofs were a dark red, some black, but all of the buildings were decorated with gold. The dirt path eventually turned into cobblestone, feeling less comfortable under my feet.

The market place is in the center of town, like most places. Rows and rows of tents and shacks of men and women trying to make a living, shouting and showing off their prize selection of goods. Though, we are garnering some sort of attention. I can feel people staring at us. I don't blame them, I suppose. I was a tad bit overdressed, but was the only thing I could find that wasn't too ostentatious.