XXXV: Standby

My dearest Alexander, 

       So long since we've last spoken. How are things back home? How are you and Mother? I hope all is well. I have some news-- you're going to be an uncle! Now, all pleasantries aside... It seems war may be imminent. Putting all past happenings aside, Andrew asks if we can confirm your loyalty and allegiance to him and fight alongside him and the south as well. I urge you to help us. I don't know what Andrew may say or do if you refuse. We need all the help we can get.

        Your dearest sister,

               Arabella Dreux Biersack

// 

I sigh and read over the letter once more before enveloping it. Taking a red candle that is lit, I drip the hot wax and seal up the letter with the Biersack crest. I stand from my desk and walk to the door, handing my message to a guard on the other side. "I need this sent to the king of the East. Now." He bows and is on his way. I shut the door back and lie on the bed. I think back to what Andrew said.  I can't stop him from doing what he wants, but if he's dead before I give birth, all hell will break loose. There will be a bloodbath for the throne. He can't die... for the sake of my son...

I don't look forward to much anymore. This babe, I feel, is all I have left. I'm learning to keep my distance here. Home was much different from the south. I wish I could turn back time and make everything all right.

(Millicent)

I have yet to leave this cottage in five months. My skin is paler from the lack of sun I'm receiving. My ankles are swollen,  my feet hurt immensely, and my belly has extended a great amount. My child is arriving soon. Very soon. A month's time. 

It's a peaceful place to be, this cottage. Quiet and secluded. I'm just used to the chaos of the castle and I'm not fully adjusted to this. Through it is nice to not have to worry about a thing. Should've gotten pregnant sooner... No-- he would still hate me, so it doesn't matter. I know I was just his toy, a little plaything. I knew what I was getting into, but part of me wished differently. If only I was born into royalty, like the Queen... some girls just have all the luck. 

I look outside of my window. The pink and white buds on the branches are starting to blossom. It's wonderful to look at but... I don't want to be here any longer. If there's a way for me to go back to the castle without having to work, I would do it in a heartbeat. I lay a hand around. I want what's best for my son. There has to be a way... 

(Andrew)

I knew being king was hard work, but this is insanity. Why now? Why now is everything falling apart before me. An entire nation is trying to overthrow me and I don't even know if I have the resources to defeat them... I know that I do not, who am I joking? Help from both Karamog and the East would be ideal, but I do not believe Alexander has any interest in helping me at all. I did, after all, almost had him executed. He is a good fighter, Alexander. Hamish trained bother Dreux children well. But is it enough? Is any of this enough?

I am overthinking this. I may be causing myself all of this stress for nothing... A war may not even happen and I am slowly killing myself over slight chances... Bella's right. I need to relax, settle down a bit. 

I pick up my cup sat beside me and finish the rest of my wine. I look around the empty throne room. I can only imagine the celebration that is to come to welcome my son into the world. It will be spectacular, it will be grand! The moment I have my son, the world will be turned upside down. I am sure of it. 

I stand from my throne and run my fingertips over the armrest. My mind wanders back to war. I can not seem to keep my mind off of it. What am I so afraid of? I was... fearless. Nothing had ever shaken me down to my core. I imagine I would be this awe-inspiring, ruthless leader; I would be the best kind this world had ever seen. But alas, I'm just a frightened boy, I feel. I am beginning to think the rest of my cohorts are thinking the same. 

"My lord," a voice echoed throughout the room. "The queen wishes to see you."

"Bring her in." The doors open wide and my wife walks in with all her beauty. As she draws near, she bows. "Bella, there is no need for formalities."

"What seems to be troubling you?" She asks, reading my expression immediately. 

"What else seems to be troubling me these days?"

"What can I do to help ease your worry?"

"Nothing, I'm afraid. This is something I must deal with on my own."

She frowns, "Oh, come now, darling. There must be someway..."  

"I just," I sigh, "I just need you to stand by me."

"Then stand by you I shall." 

A/N: 

Wow, I'm the WORST. I don't update for two months AND the chapter is short. Thanks for sticking around, honestly. But I'm all moved in, living in Chicago and art school is STRESSFUL. So I honestly don't know how often I'll even be posting anymore. Wish me fucking luck. Much love.