XVIII: Speak

"Where is your brother?!"

"I don't know!" I cry into my hands.

"He's been gone for an hour! Where is he? You must know; you two are closer than any sibling pair I have ever seen! You know something!"

"Andy—"

"Do not call me that!"

"Please, I don't know a thing! He's been acting strangely, but do you really believe for one moment that he'd truly commit an act of treason?"

"Yes! I knew he was off since your family's arrival! If you don't tell me anything, I'll have no choice but to keep your family in the dungeon, including you!"

"And why are you not accusing any of your guests?! You can't possibly know if one of them went missing in the midst of it all since there are so many of them! You will not single handedly point out my family and shame the Dreux name!"

A scream rips through his body, echoing throughout the room. He goes on a rampage of throwing and smashing. His face bright red, his dark tresses unkempt and in his face, sweat dripping from the ends. I cower in the corner of the room. I have never seen him like this, and to be quite honest, I'm terrified. He has every God given right to be furious, but none to accuse my family and myself of treason.

I watch as he destroys his room. This place is almost unrecognizable. And he starts to slow down in his actions until he slouches to the ground against the bed. His head held in his hands and he begins to weep. I know to tread lightly as I inch my way to him. He doesn't do anything when I stand next to him. I sit on the floor with him. I put my hand on his shoulder. He cries harder and rests his head in my lap. I cry with him, holding him to my breasts. "I'm so sorry, my love," I whisper. "We will find whoever has done this. There will be no rest until we do." I kiss his head repeatedly and brush away his tears, settling him down.

//

Two days after the wedding. Alexander was found and put in prison. Still waiting to be put on trial. I still don't believe he's done this, or at least did it alone. Andrew is convinced otherwise. He hasn't done a thing without have a tester eat or drink before him. He's becoming paranoid. We have yet to sleep in the same bed, and he has my chambers on night watch. Like I mentioned; paranoid.

Millicent is covering for me. I adore her for her loyalty to me, though she started as the handmaiden to Amée. I make my way Alexander's cell without raising too much suspicion. And I know the guards are watching and listening intently, seeing if I have any incriminating information regarding the... Mishaps.

"Alexander," I whisper.

He lifts his head slowly, wincing in slight pain. Though the room dim, the blood on his forehead and cuts on his lips glisten in the light of the torches lined up on the wall. "What are you doing here, Arabella?" He croaks.

"I needed to see you."

"You shouldn't be here..."

"And neither should you... Right?" He's silent. Too silent. "Alexander, I need you to tell me everything?"

"This is incriminating to you. You being down here..."

"Stop avoiding the situation that's at hand, brother." He huffs and rubs his face, careful of his wounds. I kneel on the ground, looking at my brother through the bars. "Alexander, I want to help you. Andrew is on a rampage, and is probably going to kill you, but if you give me the information needed, maybe he'll pardon you... Because I don't believe for one moment that you hatched this plan alone."

"You're right. I didn't do this alone. It wasn't even my plan. I was just a pawn."

"Then tell me who put you up to this, love."