I: Seven Years Have Come and Gone

There is a knock on my chamber door. "Prince Andrew?" One of my maid's soft voice echoes through the room.

"Yes, Martha?" I respond groggily.

"Your mother requested for you to get up."

I sigh, "Alright. Could you be a dear and dress me?" I ask, sitting up. All she does is nod and stride over to my wardrobe. I fling my sheets off my body, exposing my naked body. I walk over to Martha as she gathers something for me to wear. She dresses me with ease in a simple pair of black trousers and a white tunic. I thank her before allowing her to leave.

I walk over to my window and looked out. The whole kingdom looks absolutely breathtaking. I watched the people down by the marketplace and down by the water ports. To think this will be all mine soon...

Sighing with delight, I walk out of my chambers, throughout the castle, and into the kitchen. "Hello, Mother."

"Good morrow, Andrew," she smiles, getting up from the table to hug me.

"How did you sleep?"

"Rather well."

"Wonderful," I smile before stuffing my mouth with bread.

"Just a warning, your father wants to speak with you today. Some matter of business..."

"What?" I frown, "What is it?"

"I haven't a clue, my son."

"Well, thank you..." I nod, not bothering to finish the rest of my meal. With nothing else to do, I wander around the palace. I used to do this a the time with my friends. We would try and find hidden rooms and play games, running around. It was a much more simple time then. I hardly ever see my best friends anymore. I'm not very entertained around here as I used to. All I can really do to make me "happy" is to hire whores, but even then, I'm not satisfied. These past years have been lonely to say the least. I'm an only child to my parents, and there's no one for me to be around. Maybe if I just-

"M'lord!" A guard hollers from down the hall. All of the metal he wore echoes throughout the hall as he runs to me. "M'lord, your father would like to speak with you in the throne room."

"When?"

"Now."

I groan, but nod, going straight to my father. Guards bow, opening the doors to the throne room for me. I stride across the room until I reach the stairs that lead up to the King. I slightly bow before him.

"My son..." He shakes his head.

"Yes? What is it?"

"You are my only son. My only child."

"Yes."

"You are 24 years old."

"Yes? And? Don't just state the obvious, Father," I laugh.

"This is no laughing matter, Andrew!" He bellowes. "I am becoming old and weary. Years ago, you had promised to be married by this time. Seven, to be more precise. They've now come and gone, and what have you to show for it? Nothing!"

"I know, Father, but-"

"I am tired of hearing excuses. Years ago, you should've taken over the throne, the kingdom... That's why I've taken matters into my own hands."

"What?" I frown.

"I and the Dreux family of the Eastern Kingdom have set up an arrangement. You are to be wed to their daughter, Princess Arabella, in about three months."

"What? No! I will not go through with this!"

"You wanted to marry for love, and your mother and I respected that, but you, child, have taken too long. You can not go back on this, for it is all set up."

"No-"

"The family has already departed, and should arrive soon. You have no say in this. It is now your time to be king of the Southern Kingdom."

I shook my head, backing away from him. "You can't make me do this!"

"I can, I will, and I have!"

***************************************************************************************
A/N: Hey, I hope you like this small little chapter! I'm actually very excited for this story. I do admit, this was a little rushed and shitty, but I'm sure it'll get better.

The song attached is Crown of Thorns, so if you have yet to hear it from BVB's new album, give it a listen. One of my favorites.

So, Comment and Vote. I adore feedback.

-KC <3