XXXVI: Proposition

"My lord," a servant bows, "There is a woman requesting to speak with you."

I frown, "Who?"

"She... did not say her name. But she has... troubling news."

I stand and walk towards him, confused as to who this could possibly be. As I cautiously trail behind the guard, I prepare myself for the worst. And there she was. There was no way for myself to prepare for this

"What are you doing here?" I say through clenched teeth. Millicent, the pregnant mistress, waddles my way. "I will have your head for this."

"Now, now, dear, I wouldn't just do that."

"And why should I not?"

"I have a proposition for you," she smiles. Gods, that smile now makes me sick. How did I ever make love to this woman, let alone conceive a child with her?

"No. Whatever it is, no." 

"Oh, my lord, I think you want to reconsider," she shakes her head, "Or should I let the court know what happened?" She says loudly. 

"Hush! Alright. I'll listen to what you have to say before I kill you." I look up at the men standing by. "Leave. Now." They all bow and scurry away. I turn on my heel and walk back to sit on my throne. 

"Now, Andrew... I'm with child and due very soon. In a matter of weeks. For the good of our son, I request that we both live in the castle, away from the main quarters, of course, so he can live the best life that he is meant to. I want him to be well fed, well clothed and well educated." 

"What is the other option?" 

"Well, I'll confess to the church of your wrongdoings."

I laugh, "Mine? Like they would believe a peasant girl."

"Do you not realize? They are waiting for you to fuck up. One wrong move, you'll be condemned as the first king in centuries to have an affair. You broke your vow. And to add, I worked for your family since I was a wee girl. We grew up together. I was your wife's handmaiden. I was around you both constantly. It all makes sense, Andrew. You know this country doesn't take kindly to royalty making mistakes. You could make this easier for yourself; let us stay here and keep this a secret for as long as we can, or we can do this the hard way. And if you kill me, I have a letter all ready and set to be sent to the church that you killed, not only me but your child. And you know that's not taken lightly."

I frown. She's right. She is fucking right. I can't say I'm surprised that she is doing this. I can't say no or I could be ruined. "You know what? Fine. I'll have something set after the birth."

"Before," she pressed.

"Millicent, no. After. You'll draw too much attention if you have the babe here." 

"I'll be on my way to the church, then—"

"No!" I sigh, "I'll arrange for your chamber to be set up this evening."

She plasters a smug grin on her face. "Lovely choice, your grace. I'll be seeing you." She curtsies and turns on her heel and leaves the hall. 

That bitch.

// 

I watch as she brushes those beautiful dark locks of hers. Her face glows bright under the candlelight and her eyes twinkle in the flame. She is such a stunning creature. So kind and loving.  I find myself reflecting on what I have done to her. If only she knew... If only she knew how much I have hurt her, she would hate me. Hell, I hate myself. 

"How was your day?"

"Hm?" I snapped out of my trance. "Oh, it was alright. Better now that I am with you." She gives a small smile. "How was your day?"

"Quite irritating. Your large headed son is breaking me back," she laughs. 

"Our big headed son... Come to bed, love." 

She tucks her hair behind her ear and follows orders and joins me after snuffing the candles. I stare at her face that's illuminated by the sliver of moonlight peeking through the curtain. "I love you, Arabella." 

"I do too..." 

I watch as she drifts asleep. I lie and think.

My personal hell is going to get hotter in the coming days.

A/N: Yeah, I know I'm the worst, but school comes first. I took a break from a film project and two other projects to bang out this short chapter. Whaddya gonna do?

Happy Thanksgiving to people who celebrate (I don't but I know many of my followers do) 

-Kacy