XXIX: Make A Choice

{Arabella}

"Come m'lady, it's time to start the day," Millicent chirps, "You have to get back to the troops. Today is a very important day, according to King Andrew."

I scoff at the thought of my husband. "I'm not going today, Millicent."

"Oh, are you feeling ill, miss?"

I sigh. "You could say that."

"Would you like me to send work to—"

"That won't be necessary."

"Would you like me to bring you up some tea? Maybe some food?"

"Tea would be splendid. Could you draw a bath for me as well?"

"Certainly." With a skip in her step and a sweet tune playing on her lips, she leaves the room. It was rather peculiar. She never acted in such a way. Perhaps she's in love. I must question her on the subject when she returns.

I sit up in bed and look around the room. As grand and beautiful as it may be, I can't help but feel glum. I never expected marriage to be so... Awful. All this heartbreak and sorrow outweighs all the wondrous memories we've shared. And as much as I want and try to stop, I can't help but still be in love with this man. I would much rather be in love with Jake, but forcing a new forbidden love to fill the empty void I have is unhealthy, even if Jake's love is better that what I have currently. Then again, Jake could always turn into another Andrew. I dwell on things too much.

There's a quick knock and Millicent opens the door. "Arabella?"

"Yes, do come in."  She carries the tray to the table sat in the middle of the room, all the while still humming. "You're awfully giddy this morn."

"What brings you to that conclusion?"

"You've got this... Spring in your step."

"I'm just happy to serve you, your highness," she smiles, fiddling with the tray.

I stare at her as she's pouring the tea in a cup. "You're humming."

She clears her throat. "Everybody hums, your highness." She looks over her shoulder at me and smiles. "Sugar?" She asks.

"Please."

No longer she hums, but she's still beaming. I can see that her skin is glowing under the sun the peaks in through the curtain. I watch her carefully as she brings the cup and saucer to me in bed. "Here you are: one hot cup of tea with sugar."

I don't respond. I just take the warm drink.

"Would you like me to run your bath now?"

"No. When I finish the tea, do so. For now, tidy up this room." She bows her head and gets straight to work. "So," I sip. "Have you found a lover yet? A townsman? A servant?"

"Hm? Oh, no, your highness."

"How come?"

"Well," she starts as she puts laid out books away. "I'm perfectly content with my life as it is as of now."

"But surely you're interested in a man."

She's silent for a moment. "I wouldn't say that."

I laugh. "Who is he? Does he work here in the castle?"

"I assure you, there is no 'him,' your grace."

"You were hesitant; surely you have your eye on someone. Better yet, someone has their eye on you, yes?"

"Arabella, there's nothing to speak of since there is nothing happening with me and my romantic endeavors."

"Then why the sudden change in attitude?"