VII: Magnificent

{Arabella}

"Are you excited, your grace?" Millicent asks, tugging on the laces on my corset.

"Oh, I suppose." It's the night of the gala to announce our engagement. All the nobles from all the neighboring kingdoms of which we have no qualms with. A night of food, dancing, music, and performances. Though I want nothing to do with this place, I am rather excited for the gala. Millicent walks across the room and grabs my dress from the wardrobe.

"My, Arabella," she gasps. "It a beautiful dress!"

I smile. "Yes, it is. I have no one but the tailor, Leith to thank for it."

"Ah, yes. I've seen Leith working first hand. He's brilliant." She helps me put on the dress and takes me to the mirror. "Oh, it looks perfect on you." I admit, it was very beautiful on me. A scaled patterned off-shoulder, long sleeve bodice colored brown, with carefully placed pearls in the center of each scale. The skirt with one fabric being a brass color with a paisley design, the other fabric being a sheer dark brown, all extended to the floor. It's a gorgeous design.

"Hopefully this is suitable for the event..."

"Nonsense! It's perfect!" Millicent reassures. "Do you need me to do your makeup?" She asks while guiding me to the vanity and slipping my gold colored heels on to my feet

"No, it's quite alright." I arrange my gold makeup pots and start to apply. Millicent stands behind me, watching. When I finish she laughs.

"It was probably best you did it yourself. I would not have done it that well."

I chuckle, putting in and earring. "You're attending tonight, correct?"

"If you allow it, yes."

"What will you be wearing?"

"This. I am to serve you tonight, as I always do."

I frown and look at her. "Nonsense! You will attend to have fun." I know exactly what I have to do. I get up from the vanity and rummage through my wardrobe. We should be about the same size. I pull out a blue dress and hold it up. Perfect. "You are going to wear this. I am going to do you up, and we are going to have a wonderful time."

"What? No, no. I couldn't, Princess..."

"You're wearing this, and that it final. Besides, this is more your color than mine. It looks odd against my skin. But on you, it would look perfect... Now get out of those work clothes and I'll help you put this on." Hesitantly, she takes off her rags, and I help her into the ice blue dress, as she has helped me with all of my dresses. I sit her down at my vanity to do her makeup and hair. Hair hair is absolutely beautiful; long, wavy, and strawberry blonde. She's a beautiful pale girl, and I can tell she doesn't always feel that way. But tonight, I want her to feel like a princess. "Alright, take a look in the mirror." I stand her up and lead her to the full length.

She silent. Very silent. She just stares in the mirror, running her hands over the dress and through her hair. "I look--"

"Magnificent... I have just the thing to make this look complete." I go to my jewelry box and pull out a hair pin. It isn't much, just an ordinary pin with flower at the end of it made of sapphires. I pin it in her hair and she smiles.

"Thank you so much."

"Anything for a friend. You have been nothing but kind to me. You deserve this bit of happiness." Out of the blue, she embraces me, hugging me tightly. I pull away and hold her shoulders. "Come on, let's head down. The party has already begun." We head for the door, but she stops me.