XIX: Sweat and Blood

"So," he says lowly from behind me, "I have been informed that you visited the cells two days ago."

I hold my breath and turn to my husband. "Andrew, I can explain."

"Please do."

"I needed the truth. I knew not of his scheme and I did not believe for a moment that he did this, or at least alone."

"And what did you find out, Bella?"

I smile for a moment, "back to pet names, are we?"

"Do not chastise me, woman. I'm in no mood for games."

"Well," I clear my throat, "Alexander didn't act alone. Nor by his will, mostly."

"Who were his cohorts?"

"Cohort. There was one. He was the one who devised the plan himself... In which the murder of your father wasn't the original plan. The plan was to kill you, my love."

"Spit it out, woman!"

"Jamie. My father."

"The King? He wanted me dead?"

"Andrew, believe me when I say, Alexander never wanted to harm you in anyway, but I suppose he felt in debt to our father because of how good he's been to us... He truly did want to kill you but didn't want to betray our father so... He killed yours. This was all my father's doing."

He is silent as he begins to pace. He paces and fiddles with any little thing he can find: magnifiers, jewels, books. Just grazing and browsing, seemingly calm. I watch him intently as he stops in front of a small table and picks up a book. He pages through it, skimming through it, all before throwing it with all his might to the wall. He stomps away and out of the room, not before shouting, "Bring me his head!"

{Jamie}
"I've lead them to believe it was all Alexander's doing," I mutter to myself, "So I must flea before any word about me gets out... Oh, that damned boy. He never listens to instruction; always doing his own thing. Serves him right to get the death penalty now..."

"Your highness," a familiar voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Ah, Hamish. Good to see you in my time of need."

"Jamie, listen: word has gotten 'round that your daughter visited Alexander down in the dungeon."

I sit up in my chair, frowning. "Any word as to why?"

"I assume she talked to him about this whole plan, and if so, you know well that he told all

"I assume she talked to him about this whole plan, and if so, you know well that he told all. He keeps no secrets from his beloved sister."

"So this means—"

"You're in danger."

"For fucks sake! This was not supposed to happen."

"But it has, so I advise you to order a horse at once and be on your way."