chapter 3

3 months later.

I stood in the line at the pharmacy impatiently checking to see if the line was moving. I only had twenty minutes left of my lunch break. I stared at the box in my hand. I couldn’t believe it came down to this. 

A pregnancy test.

“Next in line, please” the man behind the counter spoke aloud.

“Sorry” I shook my head and handed him the box

He looked it over and then looked at me.

“Can you ring it up please?” I asked him confused and upset, “I have a job to get back to”

“Those hormones must be kicking in, I see” he mumbled under his breath.

I swiped my debit card and looked at him

“Excuse me?”

“I’m saving you money, hun. You’re pregnant. I mean you have the attitude to match the mood swings” he handed me my bag

“Fuck off” I spat snatching it from him and rushing out of the store.

Fucking cunt, how dare he?

I shoved the bag into my purse and dashed across the street and back to the office.

“Thank you” I smiled at the person holding the door

I stepped into the building and walked over to the elevators. The doors opened and people bustled their way out. I stepped in and pressed my corresponding button for my office. The elevator door closed and proceeded to go to my floor. 

*Ding*

I stepped out of the elevator and walked to my office. Closing the door behind me I sat down in my chair and stared at my purse.

“Fuck” I mumbled aloud.

I pulled the test out and left my office again, heading for the bathroom. I closed the stall door and ripped the package open. 

Uncap the stick and hold the color change tip pointing downwards in your urine stream sample.

I did as instructed, pulled my panties and tights down, lifted my dress up and pissed on the stick. I waited what seemed for like an hour for the results. I sat there and stared at the now dry stick. There it was. My hands went numb, I felt as if I had no legs, no body; nothing. I felt breathless. I couldn’t believe it. I closed my eyes repeatedly trying to shake what I had seen but each time I reopened my eyes there it was. It wasn’t going to change. I pressed my hand to my stomach and stared.

I’m sorry. I’m so so so sorry. I shouldn’t have done this. I’m so sorry. Why did I do this? Why?

Before I knew it I was crying. I sat there crying in a bathroom stall at work. I hadn’t noticed anyone come in until someone called my name.

“Océane?” 

It was Colby.

“Yeah?” I wiped my nose with some tissue

“Are you okay in there?”

“Yes, fine thanks. Any calls?”

“Yeah one from a Mr. Styles and two from Ms. Dagaurd”

Just my luck! One call from the father of my unborn child and another from his soon-to-be wife, Melanie.

“I’ll be out in a minute” I told her through the stall.

I waited to hear the door close before leaving the stall. Stepping out of the stall I tossed the test into the garbage. 

Test…test could always be wrong…right? I asked myself.

My first thought was to schedule an appointment with my gynecologist. I had to be sure. This was something I had to be sure about because this would change my life forever.