chapter 20

He sighed and looked at his phone that sat on the table and then back at me. He leaned over and snatched it off of the table. He looked at it and pressed his finger against the screen quickly. It stopped ringing. He then turned his attention back to me.

“Like I was saying”

“Isn’t that important?” I nodded toward the phone

“No, not now”

“Oh”

“I want to be a part of his life and yours”

“Harry”

“No, at least hear me out”

“Harry…” I trailed off

“I have a question”

“Yeah?”

“Let me throw Edward a baby shower….”

I looked at him unsure.

“So he can meet my family. I mean I haven’t told my mum yet…”

“You haven’t?…Why?”

“Because it’s not something you just spring up on a person”

“Harry….really, why haven’t you told her?”

“I…I just…I don’t know….because I’m still getting use to the idea.”

I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t be upset with him. It was a pretty new idea and a very big one. But I had to be honest with him.

“I don’t want that, Harry”

“The baby shower?”

“Yes! Edward’s going to be there and he’s going to fuss because he’s suddenly around all those new faces. I’m not comfortable with it. Baby steps Harry. Please.”

He looked disappointed but nodded his head.

“But I will do this, let’s go see your mother. Maybe if I’m there it’ll soften the blow?”

“You’re up for that?”

“Yeah…I mean it’s your mother and your stepfather. Baby Edward should be just fine”

A smile crept across his face.

“Would you like to do that this evening?”

“Sure, just call your mother beforehand. I’d rather not just show up claiming ‘this is harry’s son’ like a mad person”

“Good idea” he picked up his phone and made the phone call. 

The next thing I knew we were in his car on our way to his mother’s house.

“Now I told her that we were coming; me and you and that I had something to tell her.”

“What did she sound like when you said that?”

“Well suspicious” 

“Well of course, you claimed there was something you had to tell her”

He laughed nervously.

“It’ll be alright” I laid my hand on his thigh. 

I snatched it off quickly as soon as I realized what I had just done.  He looked over at me quickly.

“It’s alright….I’m not made of glass”

“I know…I just…nothing” I looked away from him and out the window until we arrived to his mum’s house.