chapter 12

“Would the little guy like something to eat?” Melanie asked me as she walked out of the kitchen.

“No he’s fine. It’s actually time for his nap”

“Oh right, Harry told me. This cutie can sleep in the guest bedroom. This way”

“Lou” I called for his attention. He nodded and followed me with Edward in his arms.

I walked by pictures of Harry and Melanie at their wedding as I followed her to the guest bedroom. With each step and each portrait it felt like a stab to the heart.

“Thank you” I smiled as she opened the door.

She nodded smiling and left me and Louis alone to tuck Edward in. It was quiet as I prepared Edward for his nap.

“Are you okay?” Louis asked quietly

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Because you’re in the father of your child and his wife’s house, tucking your child…”

I stared at him. He looked up at me mid-sentence.

“Yeah I don’t know why I asked that”

“I don’t either” I shook my head.

Edward was finally asleep. I watched him rest for a minute before leaving to find Louis in the bathroom.

“Oce”

“What?” I stepped into the bathroom, “What are you doing?”

I turned off the faucet.

“Nothing” he turned it back on

“Stop that” I laughed quietly, not wanting to wake the baby.

I turned it off again.

“I was wondering…” he trailed off and just looked at me

“Wondering what?”

“If…you know…we should…” he trailed off as if I were to mentally finish his sentence

“No” I suddenly realized what he was saying

“Oce..this is the perfect time…”

“No it’s not. I’m not sure I even want him to ever know”

“What?” Louis pulled me out of the bathroom doorway and into the bathroom, closing the door behind me, “He deserves to know at some point”

“Why? He’s married and clearly happy. Do I really want to destroy that? No”

“You’re hilarious thinking you had that choice. You already chose to destroy it when you had sex with your engaged best friend”

I inhaled sharply.

How could he say that to me…He was right but that didn’t mean I wanted him to say it aloud. I’m guessing by his expression he could tell his words hurt me.

“You’re right but I’m not telling Harry about his son. And if you really cared about your godson you won’t either” I shouted quietly.

I turned the doorknob and opened the door. I stood there stupidly, blank and filled from head to toe with regret as I stared into her face that quickly grew from shock into repugnance.

“Melanie” I whispered