chapter 27

Three months later.

She was dodging my phone calls or whenever I tried to talk about ‘us’ she would just change the subject or would coincidentally receive an incoming phone call at the same time. I knew I hurt her, but I wasn’t sure of how much. She refused to talk about anything but Edward. She said that’s all that mattered at this point. But I knew she was lying. I had gathered up enough courage to talk about it regardless of what she wanted.

She was due to my place any minute with Edward and I was ready. I had rehearsed over and over, what I was going to say. Melanie and I were getting a divorce so I could somehow convince Oceane to stay over so we could talk. I had it all planned out. I heard a car put up into the driveway. I smiled to myself before going to the window. 

Out climbed Oce.

This is it! This is the moment where everything changes. I loved this woman and nothing could change that. I need her to know how sorry I was for the last three months. 

I went over what I was going to say first over and over in my head until I noticed someone else get out of the passenger side. 

Immediately I forgot what the fuck I was gonna to say.

Instead a slew of questions raced through my mind.

Who the fuck is this prick?

Where did he come from?

Did she have a male, gay friend I didn’t know about?

What the fuck is going on?

I watched closely.

Why the fuck is he holding my son?

Why is he kissing the top of his head?

What the fuck is this!

Who is that!

Why is he kissing Oc-?

The voice in my head went quiet. My heart felt like it stopped. I never felt such a sharp pain in my heart before, I could’ve swore I was having a heart attack. I moved away from the window and stood in the middle of the room shocked. I walked to the door and opened it. I tried to stay calm. I tried to breathe. They both looked at me and I looked at him up and down.

“Hey Harry” Oceane cleared her throat.

“Hey” I replied softly

They both made their way up the stairs and to the front door where I stood.

“Harry this is Caleb, my boyfriend and Caleb this is…”

“Harry, Edward’s father. I see the uncanny resemblance” he stuck his free hand out for me to shake.

I would’ve punched you square in the fucking face, if you weren’t holding my son, you fucking prick.

I smiled and shook his hand.

“Nice to finally meet you”

“Same, quite frankly I didn’t even know you existed” I laughed snidely.

I felt Oce’s eyes burning into me. Telling me to play nice, subliminally. 

“But what the hell, who cares you know?”

I had to scrap everything I had planned.

I moved aside and let them walk in. Oce walked in behind Caleb, glaring at me.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” she whispered harshly

“What are you talking about?” I shook my head nonchalantly, “I don’t know what you mean”

She pinched me and rolled her eyes. He sat down on the sofa holding Edward as Edward rested his head on his shoulder.

“Well here’s his bags and everything he needs. You know everything” Oceane nodded

Caleb stood up with Edward and placed him in is playpen.

“What are you doing tonight?” I asked Oce as I side-eyed Caleb.

“Nothing really” Caleb answered

“Yeah, probably just heading back home and going to bed.”

Bed? I couldn’t fathom the thought of him of all people touching my….Oceane’s body in places I’ve been.

“I’m starving” Caleb laughed

“Well I’ll cook dinner this time.”

“You know what, I have a great idea that just came to me.”

“Oh do you?” Oce looked at me

“Yeah, we should all go out to dinner. It’ll be perfect. We can get to know each other better.” I spoke directly to Caleb

“No” Oceane answered as Caleb answered, “Great, sure” simultaneously.

Oceane looked at Caleb. Caleb looked at Oceane.

“Great! Let’s head out. We can take my Range Rover” I smirked

I smiled inside.

The ride to the restaurant was quiet, though I knew the dinner wouldn’t be. We took our seats at the table. Oce helped me with Edward as we buckled him into the high chair.

“So Caleb” I smiled sitting down next to Edward

“Yeah?” he looked up 

“So tell me about yourself. Where’d you go to school?”

“Oxford” he nodded

“Where are you from? How much money did you make? What did you study in uni?”

“Harry! That’s enough” Oceane asks frustrated

“Oh! Its okay. Its his fatherly duty” Caleb laughed

I nodded.

“Can I talk to you?” Oceane asked standing up from the table

“Sure” I stood up and followed her

We walked into a hallway and she stopped and turned to me.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“I don’t know this guy”

“But I do!” she pointed to herself

She started to pace back and forth rubbing her forehead in frustration.

“I broke up with Melanie…I mean I’m leaving her for good”

“What?”

“I…”

Oceane’s POV

I stared at him. He finally did what I wanted but I wasn’t available. It was a little too late.

Or was it?