chapter 6

The wedding was beautiful. I couldn’t bare it at times but somehow I managed. It was three months later and the boys were off on their tour. I barely spoke to Harry anymore. I missed him. Louis would send me silly photos and videos. It almost tore my heart every time I saw his wedding band.

“Ms. Auzenne?” I heard the technician call my name

“Yes?” I looked up and smiled

I had often succumbed to my thoughts and forgot about everything else around me.

“I have a question” she smiled

“Yes?” I smiled, nervous about what she was going to ask.

“Would you like to know the sex?” 

I stared at her shocked.

“Uhm, yes. Of course” I giggled like a kid on christmas morning.

She nodded and clicked a few buttons as she rubbed the transducer around spreading more cold goo below my navel.

“Wait before you tell me let me check something”

I scrolled through my phone checking the itinerary to see if Louis was free so I could share the good news. It was three o’clock.

I read my email.

12 - interview

2-4 - rehearsal

4-5 dinner / voice prep

5-6 wardrobe / make up

7 - showtime 

“Oh” I spoke aloud, “Never mind. He’s busy?”

“The father?” she started to pry

“Him too but so is the godfather. It’s alright” I brushed it off.

She nodded and proceeded.

“Here you go, it’s a boy” she turned the screen.

And there he was. I touched my belly and teared up.

“Have you thought of a name?”

“No” I shook my head

It was a baby boy. And I knew it would look just like Harry.

I unlocked my door and tossed the keys onto the counter and slipped out of my shoes. My feet were throbbing. This baby boy was heavy. I sat down at my desk and opened my MacBook. I smiled as I saw Louis was online via Skype. I clicked to call him. His face soon showed up and he was smiling.

“My love! How are you?” he asked

“I’m doing alright, thank you for asking. I miss you”

“Oh I know what that means”

“What?” I laughed

“It means that you miss my foot massages” he laughed

I tried not to let it show but I was caught red-handed. I bursted into laughter and he nodded with a look of satisfaction on his face.

“Oh wow, but how’s everything?” 

I smiled slightly because he was referring to the baby.

“It’s good” I tried not to let on that it was going to be boy, “I have something to show you” 

“Oh, and what is that?” 

I pulled out the picture of my baby boy and stared at it for a moment. Then I held it up to the webcam.

“Oh my god” I heard him whispered, “It’s a boy” 

“Yeah” I smiled

He smiled and sniffled.

“Aww Lou are you crying?”

“Nope, something blew in my eye”

“Oh yeah? I didn’t know you could have wind in your hotel suite. Those things are just getting more and more advanced huh?”

He started laughing.

“Hey Lou, who ya talking to?” Niall’s head poked into the frame.

I sat there in shock. I hadn’t realized I was still holding the ultrasound picture up to the camera.

“Niall!” Lou shouted

“Who’s baby is that?” he asked looking at Lou and then me

I snatched the photo out of frame and shook my head. It was silent for a moment as we all stared back at each other over the webcams. 

“So…” Niall asked again, “Anyone gonna ‘fess up to whose bouncing ball of joy that is?”

I bit my lip. I didn’t want to say. But I didn’t want to lie to Niall of all people, he was so innocent.

“It’s mine” I spoke up

Niall stared back at me, I waited patiently for him to say something…anything