chapter 42

I’m not sure why I thought this was “happiness” or “bliss” would last. I woke up to the sounds of Ella crying. I pushed Harry’s arm from around my waist and climbed over him and out of bed. 

“Fuck” I gritted my teeth as I stepped on an iPhone charger, “Are you fucking kidding me”

I walked into Ella’s room and to her crib. The night light was bright enough for me to see.

“Okay, baby girl” I picked her up and rocked her. I walked into the kitchen, yawning as she continued to cry.

I heard footsteps and turned around to see a sleepy Harry walking into the kitchen.

“I’ll help you”

“No it’s fine. Go back to bed”

He ignored me and started to make a fresh bottle for her. I heard my phone ringing on the dining room table.

“Who the hell is calling at this time of night?” Harry grumbled waiting for the microwave to finish heating up the bottle.

“No clue” I walked over and looked at the phone.

Seeing as I barely remembered anything I didn’t recognize the number off hand so I answered it.

“Hello?”

“Oce”

“Caleb” I looked at Harry

Harry turned around and stared at me, he started to walk over to me.

“Hi, I’m sorry for calling this late. I hope I didn’t wake you or Ella” he sounded sympathetic.

“It’s fine. She actually woke up thirty minutes ago” I told him

Harry moved closer. I held the phone up to my ear with my shoulder with Ella in my arms, I held Harry back at arm’s length. I could tell he was upset and very much awake and alert all of a sudden.

“Are you giving her bottle?” he asked sincerely

“Yeah, but Caleb what’s going on?” I asked referring to the papers he had filed

“What do you mean?”

“Why are you filing a motion to take my daughter away?”

Our daughter” he “corrected” me.

“No Caleb…I’m sorry I did this to you but she’s not yours biologically.”

“But she’s mine’s legally” 

His voice sounded cold. He scared me. I couldn’t remember if he was ever like this with me before. 

“Caleb please can you just stop all of this?”

“Stop it for what? If I can’t have you, I will have Ella. She’s a piece of you, a piece of you that I will always have and hold. Right? I will send you pict-”

“Caleb!” I shouted

He stopped talking.

“Why…why are you doing this to me? To her? To Ha-” I stopped my train of thought

“To who? Harry? Yes Oceane! I’m doing this to spite Harry as well. She’s legally my daughter. I have every right to file for sole custody and I willhave her.”

“Stop this!” I yelled over and over, before I knew it I was crying and shouting.

Ella was screaming at the top of her lungs. Harry hugged me and grabbed the phone away.

“Look here you piece of shit. Don’t call her again. You won’t win this bloody case. You hear me?…No fuck you…this is my family now and I’ll be damned if yo-” Harry looked at the phone and then back at me, “miserable cunt hung up on me”

He threw the phone at the wall.

“Fuck!” he mumbled

Ella was still crying. I now sat on the floor, rocking her back and forth watching her cry. 

Harry’s POV

I stood over her as she rocked Ella back and forth. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking. I sat down next to her and looked at her. 

“I promise you, Oceane, he’s not going to take her from us. I promise this to you”

She looked at me and closed her eyes as she continued to cry. I wanted to kill him. I wanted to beat the last second of life out of him for what he was doing to her. I helped her calm down and I put Ella back to bed. I watched Oce sleep as I sat next to her in bed. I soon joined her only to have terrible dreams from thinking too much. 

“He did what?” Louis looked at me

“He called her last night”

“And said what?” Liam asked drinking his beer

“He was going to take Ella away and shit like that, I guess. I’m not sure. Oce won’t tell me exactly what he said” I told him as we all sat on the patio, watching Eleanor and Oce play with Edward. 

Danielle walked around holding baby Ella.

“He’s traumatizing her, ain’t he?” Niall asked

“Yes and he doesn’t give two fucks about hurting her” I shook my head as I took a sip of wine.

“More?” Zayn asked as he came back from the kitchen

“Sure” I shrugged.

I watch Oce smile and laugh as Edward did the same.

“Mummy!” he shouted laughing

She grabbed him and kissed him all over.

“I’m sorry mate” Liam looked at me

“For?” I looked back at him

“Introducing them to each other. If I had known he was insane…”

“No one knew that”

“Well the man probably isn’t. He’s just looking for another way to keep a hold on Oce. I mean what would you do if someone took her away all with  a little help from a complex case of amnesia?”

“No, I wouldn’t do what he’s doing…trying to ruin a family”

“Then please” Louis leaned forward, “Tell me what your intentions were when you conceived your second child?”

“Fuck off” I rolled my eyes

“Exactly. He loves her just as much as you do” Lou sat back and sighed, “I just hope he doesn’t do anything stupider than this.”

“Like what mate? Try to hurt Oce?” Niall asked

Louis looked around the table, “Yeah…like that”

I looked at him nervously. 

But what if he did try to hurt her? What if he goes too far? I can’t live without her. I love her. I need her. 

The very thought of him hurting a single hair on her head again shook me to my core.

“Relax mate, she’s got five brothers including Benjamin to protect her. Caleb’s a dead man if he even thinks about hurting her.” Niall patted my back

“Yeah, I hope he knows that” I sighed

I was antsy with the thought of him trying anything close to that. But I knew I couldn’t let it show. I didn’t want Oce to worry about anything else. She had enough on her plate, raising two kids and I was trying to eat as much of it off as I could.