forty-five.

Graduation.

We finally made it.

Last night I didn't sleep at all because I had butterflies in my stomach. In still having a hard time processing that I'm graduating high school today and I get to do it with my best friends and my big sister. It's been a long journey but we finally made it. Dad made Reese and I a big breakfast this morning then we went upstairs to get dressed.

Reese and I both decided to wear white dresses underneath our gowns so that we could stay cool. At our school the boys get black caps and gowns and the girls get red. As I was brushing my hair I looked in the mirror. I barely recognized the girl that was staring back at me but it was in a good way. The girl looking back at me was stronger and wiser and she was ready to take in whatever this crazy world threw at her next.

I had a picture of my mom tapes to my window and I started to cry just from looking at it. This is supposed to be one of the happiest days of my life but it hurts because my biggest supporter isn't in the stands to cheer me on. But I know that she'll be there in spirit. After the ceremony Reese and I are going to the cemetery to spend some time with mama.

Reese knocked on my bedroom door and I invited her in.

"Aye look at my little sister, the valedictorian, top of the class. Yasss! You look cute." Reese said.

"Thanks you look cute too." I said.

I put on my class ring and my cap and gown. Reese held me put on all my chords and ribbons and made sure that my cap was on properly. I did the same for Reese and my sister looked good in her cap and gown.

"Damn we did it." Reese said. I could see Reese getting emotional and I wasn't going to cry, well not right now anyways.

"Yeah we did. We had to go through a little bit of hell but we made it." I said.

"Y/N thanks for not giving up on me. I know we fussed and fought a lot but when all was said and done we always looked out for each other. I proud of you sis and I love you." Reese said.

"I love you too Reese and I'm proud of you for turning your life around. A lot of people said that you wouldn't do it but you did." I said.

"Girls come down here so I can get some pictures! Then let's get the hell out of here because you know traffic is gonna be crazy at your school!" Dad yelled from downstairs.

Reese and I held hands and walked down the stairs together. When dad saw us together he started crying. Reese and I wrapped our arms around him and started crying too. Our dad has been our biggest cheerleader through everything. Even when we drove him crazy he never stopped loving us. I hope that when I become a mother I can be half of the parent that my father is. He's a good guy and I love him to death.

"Both of my little girls aren't so little anymore. You're beautiful young women now." Dad said.

"But dad no matter what happens we will always be your little girls." Reese said."

"That's right dad. Nothing is ever gonna change that." I said.

Reese and I took a few pictures l, then we went outside to take some pictures with Tori and her family. Reese drove my car to the school and dad followed is there. When we got to the school the parking lot was nothing but pure chaos. Luckily we found a decent parking space and got out. We found the girls in the school's memorial garden and Normani was talking shit to Lauren. "You're just mad that I'm salutatorian and you're not!" Normani yelled."