Chapter 27

Scott left the room temporarily. Yes, he knew Mitch needed him. But he wasn't able to help at all unless he got himself together.

Avi followed him, closing the door to Mitch's room behind him, when Scott started pacing up and down the hall again.

Avi raised an eyebrow, leaning on the wall. "Pacing again?"

"He needed me, Avi. He needed me, and I wasn't there."

"You were, what? Ten feet away? Behind a door?"

"That's just it. Why didn't I walk in sooner? I knew something was off. But I didn't think to do it until Travis said something."

"You're not seriously going to blame yourself for the actions of that sick fuck, are you? He drugged two Omegas, just to hide in their bathroom and wait for them for hours. How is that your fault?"

"I didn't say it was. I'm saying that... I should've done a better job. I should've been more careful. I shouldn't have let him convince me to let him drink. I should've gone after the asshole that bumped into him. I should've kept a better eye on him. I should've--"

"You have to stop that. We go through this same thing every time Mitchell gets hurt somehow. You always do these hypotheticals in your head, like if you'd been there sooner or opened the door a little faster... But it's not going to change what already happened. So knock it off."

Scott stopped walking, and turned to face him. "Fucking-- Make me, Avi! You don't know what it was like! You weren't there! It isn't your Omega sitting on a hospital bed right now!"

"Scott--"

"Don't tell me what to do as if you had to watch your Omega get wheeled away on a gurney! As if you were here to listen to the doctor tell you that his vitals were weak and they weren't sure when he'd wake up!"

Avi grabbed Scott's arm, yanking him roughly into a hug. "Rooks, be quiet. It's okay now."

Scott grabbed Avi's shirt in his hands, tucking his face into Avi's shoulder. "They wouldn't even let me see him. I just wanted to see him."

Avi took a deep breath, running his hand up and down Scott's back to calm him down. "It's okay, Scott. Mitchell is alive, and healthy, and still crazy about you. I'm sorry I couldn't have gotten here sooner, I'd have given those doctors a piece of my mind. Would've taken them out, if it meant you'd got to see your boy."

Scott hugged Avi as tight as he could for a second, and then let go. He took a small step back, eyes on the ground. "Sorry... Small meltdown."

"It's completely understandable, Rookie. You did everything that you could. And because of that, the little guy is okay. It's all okay."

"It's not okay. I.. I already suffocate him enough as it is, clinging to him wherever we go. Now I can't even let him go in bathrooms by himself? I left him alone for two minutes, and he was almost raped." Scott turned his head at his last word, cringing as if it left a bitter taste in his mouth.

"I know, kid. I know. It's not fair."

Scott didn't talk anymore, he was too upset. He just stared at the floor.

"Mitchell probably needs you, Rookie. Let's go."

Scott didn't move. "I'd give anything, Avi... To let him live a normal life. Where he didn't have to be scared every time he went outside. Where he could drink alcohol, and go in public by himself, and... Not have to rely on an Alpha for everything. Where he could curse freely, and portion his own food, and..."