Chapter Fourteen: A Flame With a Cold

Colt's POV

          When I see the frozen man, a chill runs down my spine. One thing I do notice is that his freeze gun is gone. I curse that villain under my breath.

          "I think he's still alive. Can you melt the ice?" Stretch asks.

          "I'll try." I form the fire on my hands and shoot it at the block of ice. Within a few seconds, it's all melted.

          "Th-thank you, sir! I th-thought I was going to d-die in there!" The man says.

          "You can repay me by coming with me to jail. I need to turn you in."

          The man looks me at me, and I can tell he's thinking of running. Luckily, he reluctantly agrees to being taken to jail. I fly him there then come back for Stretch. We go back to the house, where I almost have a crush landing, but I manage to land safely.

          "Let's get you patched up, Colt," Stretch says.

          I lie on our couch and take off my suit. I'd been trying to keep heat on the places I was hit with ice, but they still hurt.

          Stretch walks in and shakes his head after one look at me. "You're extremely frostbitten. This is bad enough that it could've killed you, and we both know how hard it is to do that."

          "I need to call Grant and apologize for leaving so abruptly," I say. I had forgotten about that until now.

          "What you need to do is keep warm and rest. I'll go in for you at the library tomorrow. This isn't going to heal very fast, Colt. It's not your typical injury."

          "Alright, thanks. I'm going to call Grant tomorrow, though. He deserves an apolo— ACHOO!" I sneeze so big that it makes my whole body ache.

          "Great, you have a cold. He really got you good."

          "You're one to talk. You're pretty beat up, too."

          "Yeah, but I'll be better by tomorrow. You'll be lucky if you're better within a few days."

          "Okay, okay. Can you bring me some—ACHOO!— soup? We didn't get to eat."

          "Yeah, what kind?" He asks rolling his eyes.

          "Chicken and noodle, please and thank you," I respond nicely.

          I sneeze at least seven more times before he brings me my soup. Stretch tells me he's going to bed, and I fall asleep after finishing my soup. I have dreams about how my date would've gone if it wouldn't have been interrupted.

eRaEdS