Chapter Eleven: Questions and Phone Calls

Grant's POV

          I hate it. I think to myself. "I love it. I like being around books all day," I say, only half lying.

          "I like talking to the people that come in. They are always happy to see me. Which library do you work at? I'm guessing it's one that's in the city," he says so innocently.

          "I work at the library on Third Street. Which one do you work at?" Since Alium City is so big, there are three libraries in the city and a few more in the suburbs and rural towns less than an hour away.

          "The public library on Main Street is where I work. Oh, it looks like we are here," he says happily.

          I get out and open his door for him. He smiles at me with blinding white teeth. "Shall we?" I ask, holding out my hand for him to grab.

          "We shall," he answers, chuckling.

          We walk into the restaurant holding hands and smiling. A man standing at a wooden podium asks us if we have a reservation, and I tell him my name. He leads us to a table that has sunflowers for decoration in the middle. I pull out Colt's chair for him and take my seat.

          "Would you gentlemen like some wine with dinner tonight?" Our waiter asks in a thick French accent.

          I look over at Colt, and he shrugs. "Could we get a bottle of Riesling, please?" I ask, hoping my date likes white wine.

          "An excellent choice, Monsieur," the waiter bows and walks away.

          "I don't know anything about wine, sorry," Colt blurts. He blushes a dark red and looks back down at his menu.

          "I honestly don't know much. I know two types, one is red and the other is white. I ordered white wine. I hope that's okay," I say, awkwardly.

          "I like white wine better than red, so that's fine with me," he replies.

          "I'm glad I made the right decision," I smile at him. I feel so shy. I am falling for this man, and I just can't think of what to say. "Have you always wanted to be a librarian?" I don't know where that came from.

          He laughs, "No, I've actually been taking some classes to be an English teacher. What about you?"

          "Definitely not, but the pay isn't bad. I've thought about taking some classes in IT," I smile.

          "Do you want to get married some day?" Colt asks.

          "If I find the right person, then yes, I do," I reach over and put my hand on his. He blushes, so I take my hand back.

          "What do you think about kids?" I can tell that it's a touchy subject by the way his face drops. I frown. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean— "

          "No, no it's fine." He tries to look happy again. "It just depends on if I ever get married, I guess. Then, I might want to adopt," he says shakily.

          "I'm the same way," I tell him, smiling. Just then, our waiter brings out the wine. He pours our glasses and walks back to the kitchen.

          Colt takes a drink. "This is good wine," he says.

          "Indeed it is," I respond. "I'd like to make a toast to you."

          All of a sudden, both of our phones go off. He looks nervous and tells me he has to take the call. Colt gets up and walks toward the restroom. I look at the caller ID on mine, and it's Sparky.

          "What the hell is going on?" I say through gritted teeth.

          "You're not going to like this, but there's a new villain wreaking havoc on Main Street. You're going to want to get there before Fighting Flame."

          "And why is that?" I ask, both curious and sarcastic.

          "He seems to have found a way to replicate your main power. He has a freeze gun."

          "You have got to be kidding me. I'll be there soon, but I might need your help with this one." I hang up the phone and sigh.