Chapter Nineteen: Interrupted

Grant's POV

What just happened? I didn't want to eavesdrop, so all I know is that Daniel got mad and stormed out of the house. One thing I noticed is that Colt didn't follow. I run into his room and see him staring at the floor. "Colt? Are you okay?" I take a small step towards him. He looks up at me and shakes his head. He collapses to his knees, crying.

I cover the small distance between us and hold him in my arms. "It's okay. Don't worry about it." I try to console him, but he's so torn. The floor probably isn't the most comfortable place, so I pick him up and set him on the bed. He tries to thank me, but I shush him. I lie down and continue to hold him.

After about twenty minutes, he falls asleep. I wouldn't have noticed, but he starts snoring. I look at his innocent face and smile. Unfortunately, my blissful moment is ruined by my phone ringing. I slowly get up, so I don't wake my sleeping partner. I left my phone on the table by the couch, so I walk over and look at the caller ID. Of course, it's Sparky.

"Hello," I say.

"Bad news, there's another villain in town."

"Another one? What the hell!" I can't catch a break this week.

"I know I said you need to take a break, but I don't think Flame could take this one alone, especially since he was injured too."

"You'd better not be hinting that we have to work together."

"No, I'm not. Tell Colt you have to go. I'll think of something to tell Daniel."

"Colt's asleep, so I'll have to leave a note. Tell Daniel to get his ass back here and apologize to my man. I'd prefer if you didn't use those exact words, though. Excuse of the day: my grandma is sick, and we need to visit her at the nursing home because you got a call saying she's getting worse."

"You're sick-minded," she laughs. "Get here as soon as possible," she says, then the line goes dead.

I quickly scribble a note for Colt then hurry out the door. I hate to leave him alone, but I know Daniel will be here soon. The drive home was painful in more than one way. My burns were hurting really bad for some reason, and I also felt bad for leaving Colt behind.

What am I becoming? I think, I'm becoming soft for this man. No, I'm not. I'm the craziest villain in Alium City. I've made my decision; the new "villain" isn't going to make it out of this city alive.

When I arrive at my apartment, Sparky is waiting for me at the door. "Suit up, Killer Kool," she says. She already has her suit on.

I hurry to my room and take out my suit from the secret compartment in my closet. I'm almost scared to check my burns, but I know I have to change my bandages. In the bathroom, I take my shirt off, then the bandages. The burns had improved a lot. Sighing of relief, I fix myself up and put on the suit.

Sparky had walked back into the living room and was holding something. "I made this for you. It's a super light, fireproof chest plate."

"Nice! I'll be right back." I go put on the chest plate and come back out. "Let's go."