Chapter Seventeen: The Meaning of Forever

Grant's POV

          I must've dozed off because I wake up and Colt isn't laying by me. I slowly sit up to look around. There's a clock on the wall, and it reads 4:30. I can't believe that I slept my whole day away, but at least I was lying next to someone beautiful for most of it. I check my phone, but there aren't any notifications. Sparky won't be done at the library for another half hour.

          "Good evening, Sleeping Beauty," Colt says, smiling. He's carrying two mugs, and I'm guessing they both have tea in them.

          "You're so funny," I croak out. My throat is dry after sleeping for so long.

          "Here's some warm tea. I always drink it when I'm sick," he tells me.

"Thank you," I reply before taking a drink. The tea makes my throat feel a lot better.

          "I fell asleep too," he blurts, trying to make conversation. "I woke up about ten minutes before you did."

          I laugh. "I don't know if I'll be able to sleep very well tonight, but I won't have much else to do since I don't feel well," I hint.

          "You can stay here if you want. I like the company. Taking over my shift at the library always wears Daniel out, so he doesn't talk much after he gets back."

          "Sarah is the same way," he giggles, and I smile. "He can stay at my apartment with her if he wants. They can be grumpy with each other."

          "That would be great! How old is she? I just wonder because he needs to meet people his own age. He's so antisocial."

          It's a good thing Sarah looks Daniel's age. "She's seventeen and antisocial as well." I couldn't tell exactly how old Daniel was when I met him, but I guessed he's about seventeen.

          "I'll call Daniel and tell him his new plans for tonight," he grins from ear to ear and goes into the other room.

          He walks back into the living room a few minutes later, rolling his eyes. "He took some convincing, but he said he'll go."

          "Awesome! I'll call Sarah." I go into another room like he did.

          "How are you feeling?" She greets.

          "I'm great. Don't get mad, but I have a couple things to tell you."

          "Great." I could almost feel the eye roll.

          "I went to Colt's house, and I'm going to spend the night. Also, his friend, Daniel, is staying over at our apartment. Be nice," I rush all of it out before she can interrupt me.

          "Dammit, Grant. I told you not to go anywhere," she pauses to sigh then continues, "You'll have to stay there a couple days, understand? I don't want you driving anywhere."

          "As long as I'm staying here, Daniel is staying there. Deal?" She knows she has no choice in the matter, so she sighs again.

          "Alright. Call me every once in a while, okay?"

          "Of course. I love you," I say sweetly.

          "Sure you do," she says then hangs up.

          I go sit on the couch right by Colt and cuddle into him. "Sarah told me I had to stay here a couple days. As long as you're okay with it, of course."

          "If every day is going to be like today, then you can stay forever," he leans down and kisses me softly.

          If only forever meant the same thing to you as it does to me, I think to myself. On the outside, I just smile and wrap my arms around him.