Chapter Thirty Nine: An Ice Cold Drink

Grant's POV

    "You're making the biggest mistake of your life, don't you realize that?" Sparky yells at me.

    "Don't you think I know that?" I shout back. This is going to be one drawn out fight.

    "Then why are you doing it? Huh? Why don't you explain to me that?"

    "I'll hurt him, Sparky! That's all I can ever do. Haven't you realized that by now? I can't love. I can't be loved! It's better that I live a life of misery and loneliness rather than hurt anyone else!" This throws her off guard.

    "That doesn't make sense. Colt loves you and you love him! You need to get your life figured out in the next hour because he's going to leave. He's going to find another guy and move on, and it's going to kill you. Don't you understand?"

    "I'll be fine. I'm over it. I'm over all of this." I head to the kitchen where I keep all my alcohol hidden from Sparky.

    "No. I know what that means. Don't you dare lie to me when I ask you this. Are you drinking again?"

    "I am now." I answer without a care. It's over. Maybe this time I'll succeed in drinking myself to death.

    "Grant please. Don't do this. I don't want to go through all of this again. I-"

    "Then don't," I cut her off. "I'm letting you go."

    "What does that mean?" She asks, insulted.

    "It means you can go with Colt. Well, you can go anywhere. Leave me to die. Every immortal has their day, right? This is mine." I just can't go on anymore. I need Colt, but I can't hurt him anymore.

    "Go to bed. Stop this nonsense. You are stronger than this. I'm going to bed. You can figure this out on your own." She storms off towards her room, and I don't stop her.

    I grab a glass from the cabinet and pour what used to be my favorite whiskey in it. Staring down at the now filled glass, I begin to break down. How could this happen? Why of all people did he have to be the hero? He'll always be a hero, too. When he offered to be a villain with me, I just couldn't say yes. It wouldn't be right for him. How could I be a villain without a hero, though? I shouldn't have let him go. As all of my regrets fall down upon me, I drink. Then, I pour another glass.