Chapter Thirty Six: Some Hearts Are as Cold as Ice

Colt's POV

I look over my shoulder when I hear the bathroom door open. Grant comes out with a worried expression on his face. "Are you alright?" I ask, getting up.

"I'm fine," he says, rubbing his head. He pauses, unsurely, and looks up at me. "You'd never lie to me, or keep secrets from me, right?"

The question startles me. I hesitate, but respond before he has time to be worried. "No, of course not, babe." I give him a big hug, but I instantly feel guilty. What was I supposed to say? I couldn't just tell him who I was, but I lied to him about lying.

"Alright. I trust you, Colt. Thank you for trusting me," he responds in a small voice that melts my heart. I want to tell him the truth, but I can't.

All at once, the TV comes on with a breaking news story. Hoping that Killer Kool isn't involved, I take Grant by the hand and walk over to the couch. Horrified, I watch the story unfold.

"... downtown in an abandoned building that was once owned by the mob boss Richori. The sidekick to Fighting Flame, known as Stretch, and the minion of Killer Kool, known as Sparky, are going head to head in an intense battle that could be worse than any fight between their well known hero and villain. Here is the live view of what's happening downtown. This might be too graphic for some viewers."

Sure enough, it was Stretch. I put my head in my hands and lean over onto Grant, but he pushed me off. I looked at him, afraid that he was upset. He got up quickly and ran back to the bathroom, where I heard coughing and other unpleasant sounds.

I walk over to the bathroom and knock on the door. "Are you okay in there?" The toilet flushes and he comes out, looking a little dazed.

"I'm fine," he says. "All these graphic scenes just made me a bit sick. I could have a bug. I don't want to be a party pooper or seem rude, but maybe you should go home, sweetie. I don't want to get you sick." He smiles apologetically.

"That's alright. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" He nods and I head out the door, thankful for an excuse to check on Stretch. He must've lost his mind. Unless...

Meanwhile

Stretch's POV

Sparky is stronger than I thought. She has evaded all of my attacks, and her tech skills are nearly as amazing as my own. She's impressive, but I can still beat her.

"What happened to you, Daniel? You were a hero. I faced you in battle a few times, and you wanted good to triumph over what you thought was evil," she says, dodging my attacks.

"Look at the villain trying to help a hero. Well I never was a hero, no not really. I fought beside Colt because I love him. He believed in the whole good over evil stuff, so I stood by him. Now he's with another man, his arch nemesis no less! It's not fair!" My arms stretch around the room, and my hands are around her neck in a heartbeat.

"Daniel, listen," she croaks out, "Colt loves you, just in a different way. If you care about him, you'll let him go. Turning on him will make him hate you, not love you like he loves Grant."

"No, you're wrong. He loves villains, so I'll be a villain," I squeeze harder, but someone bursts through the roof.