Chapter Twenty: suitcase

EDITED AS OF 9/26/17

My eyes blinked a few times, adjusting to my bright lamp. I yawned and got up, setting my feet back into my cozy slippers.

As I got up, something caught my eye. I found a note pinned to the wall with a thumbtack.

I stood on my bed, gently taking off the thumbtack and reading the note.

'good morning beautiful,
-Ed'

I smiled.
I took the note and gently folded it in my pocket.

Today was the day I confronted Lilian, she was my best friend. She deserved to know what was going on between Edison and I.

I slipped on a black buttoned shirt and some jeans, as always.

I stepped out of my slippers and slipped into some flats. I quietly walked outside and shut the door behind me.
I walked through the woods, greeting some of the pack sitting on a log right outside Lily's cottage.

I knocked on Lily's door. I stood there, waiting. Finally, her mother came out.

"Hey Elena! Whats up?" She smiled.

"Hey, Ms. Taylor, can I speak to Lily?" I replied, returning the smile.

She nodded, "Lily, get out here!"

I heard Lily's loud sigh.

She walked out, she looked shocked to see me.

Her mother smiled and walked away.

Lily shut the door and folded her arms, "what do you want?"

"Well, first I wanted to say I've been acting like a jerk lately and I'm really sorry. I was so hurt, I wasn't thinking straight," I smiled.

"Okay, continue," Lily smiled back.

"Oh, well, last night was my first date with Edison," I said, looking down.

"Oh, um, cool," she smiled.

"Thats not all," I said, shaking my head.

"Okay," she laughed.

I showed her the diamond ring on my finger, "you see this? Its a promise ring."

"Well, what did you promise?"

"That eventually, when I love him, I'll marry him," I blurted out.

Her jaw dropped, "how can you be sure you'll love him after one date?"

"I don't know If I'll love him after a billion dates, Lil, but he makes me happy. So I told him I'll try."

"What happens if you don't go through with it?" She scoffed.

"I said I'll try and he agreed!"

"I'm sorry, but if you came here looking for forgiveness, you're not gonna get it. Not today."

She curved her lips into a fake smile and shut the door.

I sighed loudly and walked away.
What was I going to do? Lily won over all guys. But I couldn't give up Edison and my chance at happiness. I just didn't understand why she thought so highly of Rick, and not Edison. Edison was sweet, he treated me like a goddess.

I really wanted to believe there wasn't a catch. But when you think about it, the luxury of a prince like him, loving a nerd like me, it wasn't going to be luxury forever.

I waved goodbye at the part of the pack that was still sitting at the log and began walking back into the woods.
When I arrived back at my cottage, I sat on the porch.

I reached into my bag and pulled out a juice box, and began sipping on it.

These are the times I wish I had my mom here. Don't get me wrong, I always want my mom by my side. But times like these, I just need my mom to hug me and tell me everything's going to be okay. She made me feel better the way that no one else could.

I cupped my face into my hands and began to cry.

I peeked through my hands and got up, wiping some tears.

I sighed loudly and opened the door to the cottage. I ran into my bedroom and collapsed on the bed.

I hid my head under a pillow and thought, why me? Why us? Why did my family have to trigger their curse and cause us to all become werewolves?

Century's ago, my ancestors triggered their curse.

Once they kill someone, they are forced to change into wolves every full moon.

I thought for a second, what If I just got a few days away from the pack? I might get beat by our strong alpha when I return, but It would be worth it. It would be worth being a normal person, just for a few days.

I could never be the same. I would always be different. I can't change that, but I can get away from it for a few days.

No boys, no girls, just me.

Letting go of my crapy life for a few days.

I could have a little fun, right?

Returning from my fake normal life a few days later, would be terribly hard. Everyone would pick on me, Maria would ground me forever, and the alpha would nearly kill me.

But, some of it had to be worth it.
I ran over to my drawers and began throwing clothes and accessories out.
I stuffed them in a pink suitcase, the one I was bringing.

I was going.