Chapter 17

I woke up to twenty bright notifications on my phone. 10 were emails from my boss, Shannon and David. The other 10 were text messages from Shannon alone.

"Where did you head to?"

"You have to get your butt down here right now."

"Blake?"

"Boss loved your article so much."

"Important things are happening down here!!!"

"!!!!"

"?????"

"Are you asleep?"

"You're totally asleep aren't you?"

"Blakkkkkkeeeeeee."

I groaned and rubbed my eyes before getting up and dressed. It was 4pm so I'd have time to get some work done at the office and see what the commotion was about. I chose a grey pencil skirt, a white blouse, and my favourite heels. I put my hair up into a professional bun and accessorized with my gold bracelet and necklace. I put on a bit of makeup, and rushed out the door.

When I got to the office everyone was out of their offices, all talking in the main area of the building. Everyone stopped talking and looked up at me as I entered. I looked around confusedly and walked to my office. I sat down and started checking my emails when my bosses assistant knocked on my door.

"Ms. Rose, your boss wants you in her office as soon as possible."

"Okay, thank you. I'll be there in just a second."

She nodded her head and walked away. I closed my computer and made my way to my bosses office. I knocked on the door.

"Come in." I heard her voice say.

I opened the door and walked in. She looked up at me.

"Take a seat, Ms. Rose."

I slowly took a seat in the leather chair next to her desk and nervously placed my hands on my lap. She looked at me and rested her elbows on the desk.

"Ms. Rose, have you checked your email recently?"

"N-No, I was just about to. Why?"

She disregarded my question and continued.

"Yesterday, you submitted an article to me."

"Y-Yes."

"You did something no other writer has ever done for this magazine yesterday. That article was spectacular Ms. Rose."

"Thank you Ms." I said, flattered.

"You write with such passion. That's something hard to find in the journalists of today. Yesterday you showed me your capabilities."

"Thank you Ms." I repeated.

"You showed me that you are capable of making sure this magazine has a special connection with it's readers. You showed me that I have a capable replacement."