Chapter 22

A few hours later, I had completed most of my work that I had to catch up on and had chosen the intern's article for the month.

I walked out of my office to see the interns and some other employees working around the main area of the office.

"Good afternoon everyone, may I please have your attention?" I said loudly from the top of the steps that lead down to where they were working. All of their heads popped up.

"Thank you. I'd just like to congratulate Sadie. She has worked very hard, and in return we will be publishing her article this month." I said with a smile.

I looked over to see Sadie as she jumped in excitement and hugged her friends. I smiled at her and returned to my office.

I worked for a while longer until I got thirst, and went to get myself some water from the break room. 

Shannon and David were talking on the couch when I walked in.

"Hey guys!" 

"Blake!" Shannon shot up and hugged me while David smiled at me.

I explained all that had happened with Charles and I, and got my water. 

After I said goodbye to them, I walked back to my office. Since it was later in the day, everyone had gone to their desks and were finishing up their work.

I set the glass on my desk and sat back down at my desk. 

I took a few sips before hearing a small scream coming from outside my office.

I got up and walked out my door, looking around. 

"Stop! Please!"

I followed the sound to the meeting room and quickly swung the door open to see Mr. Knight pressing Sadie against a wall. His hands were under her shirt as she squirmed away from him.

"I don't want to! Please, stop!" She yelled again.

I gasped and ran over to Mr. Knight and Sadie. His face turned from a disgusting smirk to a worried look when he noticed me. I was disgusted with him. I had so much hatred for him at that moment. 

My emotions got the best of me as I slapped him. He backed away from me holding his face as I turned to Sadie who was shaking with fear.

I held my arms out to her and hugged her to comfort her. I felt her shake in my arms.

I knew I had to deal with Mr. Knight. 

Sadie held onto me as we walked into the hallway where Mr. Knight was trying to walk away.

I held Sadie in my arms as she grasped on to me and sobbed into my shoulder.

"Mr. Knight!" I yelled.

He turned around, looking like a deer in the headlights. People were gathering around after they heard me yell his name.

"What the hell did you think you were doing?" 

I yelled at him with anger but held Sadie comfortingly.

"I-" he started but I cut him off.

"Why did you think you could do that to her?"

"She's just an intern."

My jaw dropped and my eyes widened. I could not believe the words that just spilled out of his disgusting mouth. 

I looked around to see almost all of the employees watching what was unfolding.

"She is a person! She is not just an intern! And you know what? This girl's career is already successful while, as of now, you don't have a career. Your actions will not be tolerated. You are fired." 

He turned around and started to walk away with his head hung low.

"And don't expect to be finding another job anytime soon. I'm notifying all of the editors I know of your actions Mr. Knight."

He turned around with his eyes wide and mouth open before continuing to walk away.

I scanned the room to see all of my employees staring at Sadie and I with wide eyes. At that moment, I didn't care who was staring. All I cared about was this poor girl who was still shaking in fear.

I held her tight as she continued to cry on my shoulder. I closed my eyes and comforted her.

We stood there for a good twenty minutes until she pulled away from me.

She looked at me with red puffy eyes and sniffled.

"T-Thank you s-so m-much."

I nodded and hugged her again before she walked to a crowd of her friends who were waiting for her with open arms. 

I took a deep breath and turned around to see Charles standing by the staircase.

"Hi." he said quietly.

"Hi." I said with a small smile.

He walked over to me, grabbing my waist and placed a passionate kiss on my lips.

"Dinner?" he asked.

"Sounds great." I replied.

He followed me into y office as I grabbed my things and waved to Cindy. 

Before I walked away, she tapped me on my shoulder.

"Yes Cindy?" I said, turning around.

"I'd just like to thank you for getting rid of Mr. Knight. You're amazing. Just, thank you." She said as she hugged me.

I was surprised at first but then wrapped my arms around her too. I felt something deeper in that hug, like she knew Mr. Knight too well.

I got panicked at the idea and pushed it out of my mind.

"Goodnight Cindy." I said as I turned to Charles.

He grabbed my hand and we walked into the elevator.

"How much of the yelling did you see?" I asked as the door closed.

"All of it." 

"O-Okay."

He squeezed my hand and looked at me with a proud smile.

"You're amazing, you know that?"

I blushed at his words as we walked out of the elevator hand in hand.