Chapter 23

At dinner, Charles told me that his parents would be arriving the next day to stay with us for a little while. I felt myself already getting happier at the thought of seeing Patricia and Jim again.

"So, do we tell them?" he asked, reaching for my hand from across the table.

Of course the thought of telling them about the baby had crossed my mind, but I had completely forgotten about it at that moment.

"Is it too soon to tell anyone?" I asked.

"It should be your decision. Tell them whenever you feel ready."

"Okay" I replied with a smile.

The rest of dinner was spent in a comfortable silence. 

Charles and I got back to the house and I went straight to the bedroom to put my pyjamas on. I searched through my drawer but I then realized that all of my pyjamas were in the laundry.

"Can I borrow a shirt?" I yelled from the bedroom.

I heard him yell yes back, and I pulled on one of his v-necks.

I went back to the kitchen where Charles was standing, flipping through pages of writing.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Work stuff." he replied as he turned around with a pout.

His pout quickly faded when he set his eyes on me. 

"What?"

"You're beautiful." he said, wrapping his arms around me.

I wrapped my arms around him in return and smiled.

He cupped my cheek in his hand and gently brushed my cheek with his thumb before gently kissing me.

I smiled and kissed him back, running my fingers through his soft hair.

His other hand found its way to my waist and held me close.

I stayed there, engulfed in his gentle kisses when my phone started to ring.

I groaned and pulled away with a pout before finding my phone and picking it up.

I leaned against the kitchen counter and brought the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Blake?"

My eyes widened at the sound of the voice on the other end of the line. Charles looked at me with furrowed eyebrows.

"M-Mom?"

Charles' eyes widened and his jaw dropped.

"My goodness Blake, I haven't heard from you in ages."

"Oh, um I've been pretty busy."

"Your dad and I think that it's time you came and visited."

"I-I don't know mom, I'm really busy and a lot of stuff is happening right now."