37 • Proposal

Two weeks later
Scott's pov:

"Guys, I need you to come to California." I plead to Stiles and Lydia who are on the other end of our FaceTime call.

"We'll definitely come, but is there any specific reason?" Lydia asks.

"You gotta keep this to yourselves, okay? I'm gonna ask Allison to marry me." I whisper, even though she's working, and I'm in my own apartment.

"Oh my gosh!" Lydia exclaims, dancing around in her seat. "I'm so happy!"

"Dude! This is great!" Stiles exclaims.

"We'll be there within a couple of days. This is so exciting!!! Did you get the ring?"

"No, I'm waiting for you guys. I need extra opinions, you know how terrible I am at making decisions."

"Okay!"

"You can't even tell her that you're coming, okay? I want to surprise her after we, hopefully get engaged." I explain.

"My lips are sealed." She says, running over her lips with her index finger, and throwing an imaginary key behind her.

"I'll text you later and let you know the soonest we can get there." Stiles adds.

"Alright, thanks guys. Talk later."

"Bye!" They say in unison, as Lydia ends the call.

~

A few days later, the three of us are standing around the third jewelry shop we've been in all day.

"Ugh, this is so boring. Is it possible to die of boredom?" Stiles groans.

"Stiles, would you please be quiet for two seconds? We have to make sure it's the perfect ring!" Lydia says, smacking his shoulder.

A salesman walks over to us, and smiles. "Hello! Can I help you with anything today?"

"Yeah, that'd be great. I'm proposing to my girlfriend, and I want a really great ring for her."

"Okay, what's your budget?"

"Under 3,000, but I could pay a little over."

He shows us dozens of rings, and they're all beautiful, but none of them are perfect. Some were too sparkly, too dramatic, not enough, almost right, but not quite. As I'm beginning to lose hope, he says "There's actually one ring that I think you'll really like. Where is it?"

He searches through some drawers. "Ahah!" He passes me the ring, and I admire it as it rests in my palm.

"This is a ring with a princess cut diamond, and smaller diamonds surrounding it. It's set in 14kt white gold." He informs me.

I'm speechless, and Lydia peeks over my shoulder.

"It's gorgeous." She smiles.

"It's just what I wanted. This is the one." I say, passing the ring back to him.

"Great! It's $2,635."