Chapter 11

Over 200 reads! My mind is blown. This is totally unexpected. I can't believe people read my story! Thank you so much for sticking around. :) it's gonna be a ride!

I just presented my completed choir folder to Mrs. C and she smiled at me when I told her I would be auditioning for a lead role in Les Mis. "I'm happy to hear you've made your decision, and a rather fine one at that, Mitchell!"

Kirst and Alex decided to audition with me in hopes of calming my nerves down.

Now, I know I'm confident in singing but that doesn't mean I don't get nervous. I've always had problems with stage fright growing up in community theatre. In CATS my stage fright was fine and didn't really progress until I had my very own line in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. It's just that anxious feeling you get and those butterflies in my stomach... I feel sick thinking about it. And the shakes, oh the shakes. It's always my left leg...

"Mitch?"

Kirstie held a pen out to me after class.

"Huh?"

"Sign up for a time! Alex and I already have." She laughed. "Stop spacing out."

I grabbed the pen and signed up for the slot right next at the end.

"Really Mitchell? That's almost an hour after my audition. I probably won't be able to stay." Kirst frowned. And she used my full name, ugh. She was upset.

"Sorry..." I frowned.

"It's okay." Alex said, patting my back. "I will stay."

I smiled but refused. "You really don't have to... Matter of fact, I don't want you to watch. It'll make me more nervous."

"Oh! I-um. Okay. If that's what you want." Alex stuttered. Wait, Alex stuttered??

I immediately felt bad. "I didn't mean it like that. Just, you know I get nervous sometimes."

"He knows Mitchy. Let's go get lunch, yeah? Tomorrow is a weekend!" Kirst interjected.

--

Esther invited herself to sit with me and Kirst during lunch.

"I saw that you both signed up for auditions! I did too!" She beamed.

"Really? What part are you going for?" Kirst asked.

"Maybe Cosette or Eponine. How about you?"

"I think Cosette." Kirst smiled.

"What about you, Mitch?" Esther asked suddenly, more than likely trying to make me feel included as I awkwardly listened in on their conversation.

"Oh, I don't really mind what part I get. I just want to have a good audition and a good experience. Afterall, I'll be in the choir either way and this is my first year so-"

"-He wants Jean Valjean, obviously." Kirst giggled.

I shook my head at her adoringly. "Whatever."

Esther gasped though. "You would make the perfect Jean! I think Scottie should be Javert but he's all like-"

"-I'm all like what?" Scott interrupted, appearing behind Esther.

Me and Kirst just laughed as we watched Scott sneak up on Esther. Their friendship is really cute...

"Why didn't y'all tell me he was right behind me?!" Esther whined.

He patted her head and sat down beside her. "Hey Mitch." He said, looking right into my eyes with his piercingly blue ones.

"H-Hi..." I stuttered. His eyes making me falter.

Kirst shot me a knowing look and smirked. I just rolled my eyes, silently telling her to stop.

"Esther, will you walk with me to the bathroom?" Kirst asked suddenly, staring at me through her peripherals.

"Sure!" Esther responded happily, and they left.

Okay Kirst, you liar... I know your dirty games. Apperntly Scott was oblivious though. 

"Girls... they always go the bathroom together whereas if guys do that, it's just awkward." Scott laughed.

I agreed silently by chuckling.

"So are we still on for tomorrow?" He asked after a few seconds of silence.

That question reminded me of a line from a romance movie, and if I didn't know any better it would have sounded like we were discussing a date.

"Yeah... When and where?"

"How's 1?"

Okay, thanks for answering one part of the question. "That's fine. I'm not much of a morning person so... That's great actually."

He gave me a small smirk. "Oh, so you're one of those people who like to catch up on their beauty sleep huh?"

I blushed. Is he calling me beautiful? "I guess..."

He chuckled.

"So umm... Are we doing this at your house, or?" I mentally slapped myself as soon as the words escaped my lips.

Oh no! What if he thinks I'm trying to invite myself? How awkward.

"Ummm..." He scratched his head nervously and bit the side of his bottom lip. "What about your place?"

I'm so embarrassed at this point that I just want to turn myself invisible. Not to mention the fact that I looked around realizing Kirst had been gone a long time and noticed that almost everyone around us was pointing and whispering things and talking about us. 

Of course. The most popular guy in school was currently seated aside from... Well, no one knows who I am. I felt myself get super uncomfortable.

"I-I don't think so. My parents will be home and.... Um, yeah. No."

I shook my head at myself. He probably thinks I'm a freak! He's probably wondering why my parents being home is a big deal. It's not like we were gonna make out or something. What if he thinks that's what I want?! Oh no... I'm a total mess.

"Oh yeah, you have strict parents. I swear I forgot, I'm so sorry for asking!"

Or... That. "Oh, don't apologize please. It's really not your fault they're like that."

"Okay." He smiled. "You can just tell them I'm your mentor and helping you so you'll get a good grade. Would they let me come then?"

Actually, yes. "Actually, yes."

"Okay. So your place at 1 then."

"Yeah. My place at 1."

We just looked at each smiling as Kirst and Esther made their way back to our table. I immediately looked away from Scott and towards the girls. I took that as my queue to leave so I stood and grabbed my and Kirstie's tray.

"You're leaving?" Kirstie frowned, sitting down.

"Yeah. Dad should be waiting on me outside."

"Bye Mitch! I will miss you." Esther said sadly.

"He's not dying, Esth. You'll see him again Monday." Scott laughed. "See you tomorrow Mitchy."

"Tomorrow?!" Both girls exclaimed simultaneously.

I just smirked as I made my way to the trash can with the trays, a few unfamiliar heads following my every move as I went. Wow, these people were all sure invested in Scott's life and who he hangs out with. I hope that none of them will become an issue with how much time I'll be spending around Scott preparing for auditions and with him being my mentor. I gave a silent prayer.

--