Chapter 70

I wake up, slightly startled, to the sound of the cockpit announcing our decent. 

I'd gotten in only a 30 minute nap because I was too anxious/excited to sleep. But I was a little tired and hoped Scott wouldn't mind if I crashed as soon as I got to his place.

I wished I had booked an early flight instead of choosing one in the evening.

Shortly after the plane touched down one of the flight attendents announced that it was 7:21PM. I completely forgot about the time-difference and felt a little better that it wasn't almost 10 like I thought it would be.  

Oops, I told Scott to pick me up a little before 10. I needed to text him and let him know I've landed. 

Me: I'm so sorry and understand if you're busy, but I mean't 10:00 Arlington time. So, 7:00 your time. I just landed.

Scott Hoying: Yeah, I figured. I'm already here parked in front of Gate A arrivals. Cya soon! :)

I shake my head and bite back a smile. 

Scott and I have been friendly over texts and calls lately, but I'm so nervous for how our conversation will flow in person. It felt almost like first-date nerves but only we're just friends, so it was confusing. I shouldn't feel this way.

Once I got off the plane and grabbed my carry-on, I followed the signs and walked for like 10 minutes to baggage claim.  I waited a bit for my two suit-cases and it was 9:57 when I finally had all of my luggage and headed towards Gate-A arrivals. 

I probably looked pathetic trying to haul all of my stuff and a few people even gave me sympathetic looks, but I had other worries on my mind than my luggage.

I stop dead in my tracks as I almost collide with some asshole in a really long, baggy hoodie. He stepped right in front of me as I was walking. 

I look up angrily and notice he's wearing sunglasses although it's like 10:00 at night and definitely not bright.

I stare, waiting for an apology because I wasn't good at confronting and didn't have the guts to demand one.

He pulls his shades down coolly and I feel my breath get caught in my throat. I could recognize those blue eyes from any distance.

"Scott?!" I whisper-shout excitedly, a dumb grin growing onto my face. 

I then notice his million-dollar grin and immediately drop my luggage to fall into his open arms. 

He squeezes me and we just hold onto each other for a while, our fast-paced hearts beating together and memories of one another rushing back all at once.

He felt like a stranger but he also felt like home. Our embrace was slow but fleeting, happy yet sad, and very confusing? 

The more we hold onto each other, the more my heart and skull begin to pound. So, I gingerly pull away, not quite knowing whether I wanted our embrace to quickly end or if I wanted it to last an eternity. 

"Hey, sorry I had to greet you this way." Scott chuckles nervously, scratching the back of his neck "I've been bad with getting recognized in public so I'm trying to be cautious. My manager says this outfit was the only way I'd be allowed to come and get you."

That would explain why he looked so ridiculous in his get-up, but he was still always handsome.  If I recognized him, his fans definitely would too. 

I nod, missing the warmth that I just felt in his arms. 

We just stare at each other nervously for a bit and I look down at my feet.