Chapter 85

I choked as Tyler poured the contents from a bottle of champagne down my throat, everyone cheering me on. 

"Best party ever, Scotch-tape! You've done it again!" Mario says to me, patting my back as I catch my breath.

I was very drunk, everyone shoving alcohol in my face all night long and making sure I was having a good time. 

And I definitely was having a good time, but I hadn't seen Mitch in a while, so I began to stumble around looking for him; ignoring all of the people that were trying to speak to me every five seconds.

"Hey buddy, what are you looking for?" 

I finally turned myself in at the sound of an all-too-familiar voice, looking up at Avi.

"Oh, hey. Have you seen Mitch?" I slur.

"Sure! He's over there dancing," he says, pointing over toward the huge crowd dancing by the DJ. "Good luck though, I could hardly utter more than 3 sentences to him all night. Looks like he's a very hot commodity with all of the gay dudes."  

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. Thanks. I am very drunk, can you help me?" I plead dramatically.

Avi scoffs. "Yeah, follow me."

We make our way over to the dance floor, but Mitch is nowhere to be found. As I feel myself begin to worry, I sober up a little. 

"When is the last time you saw him?" I question.

"Probably like, twenty minutes ago? Don't start to freak out, but your buddy Mack from RCA? He was all over Mitch for a while..."

I definitely started to freak out.  

"Don't worry, though. I was keeping an eye on them and Mitch was shoving him off a couple times, so I figured he can handle himself. The only reason I'm bringing this up is that I don't see Mack anymore, either."

"What the fuck, Avriel! How could you not tell me earlier?"

"Because you would react irrationally like this. I need you to calm the fuck down and help me look for Mitch, and if you can't do that then fuck off and I'll find someone who will." He snaps.

--

After we found Mitch in the backyard hot tub hanging out with a large group of friends, both Avi and I immediately relaxed.

"See, Hoying? I told you Mitch could handle himself. He's a grown man, and you need to stop treating him like he's your kid."

"I can be worried about him, Avi. You were too!" I argue. 

He nods once. "Yeah, but the difference is that I trusted him, and you immediately freaked out."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever, Av." 

Avi suddenly grabs my arm firmly, "Follow me," and drags me along into the nearest empty room.

He locks the door.

I stare at him. "What is this?"

He rolls his eyes. "This is an intervention, duh." 

I scoff. "What the hell, bro?"

"I should be asking you what the hell. You two aren't even dating anymore, yet  here you are acting like a jealous boyfriend." 

My heart skipped a beat as I began to get nervous. "See, that's the thing, Av..."

I sigh, hoping I wouldn't regret this later when I sober up.

Here goes nothing. "We-"

"-I FUCKING KNEW IT!" Avi exclaims, smacking me hard on the shoulder. "Congrats bro. Esther has been calling it since Christmas, but I didn't think you had it in you to win him back. You better not fucking let him go this time."

I grin as I reach into my back pocket, revealing a velvet box to Avi. 

Avi gasps, letting out a rare, excited squeal. "Seriously?! Holy shit! This is so exciting!"

He wraps his arms around my neck and we stay in an embrace for a while.

My nerves about the reveal fade away as I am wrapped in my big brother's arms. 

I couldn't ask for a better, more supportive brother.

"Esther is going to lose her shit. Nevermind her, the whole world is going to! Mom and dad... Oh my god, nana and grandpa, everyone is going to be so happy for you two. Does anyone else know? Are you sure you're ready for this step?" he rambles

I chuckle, having only seen Avi this excited on a couple of occasions; most of them being when he brings a new motorcycle home. 

"You're the only one that knows about us, so don't tell a soul. Please. Don't even tell Mitch." 

He nods. "Got it. And you're ready for this?" he asks again after I nervously deflected the question the first time.

I scratch the back of my neck. "Like, 90%. Is anyone ever really 100% ready, though? I am sort of worried that Mitch will think I'm moving too fast. I mean, it has only been a month..."

Avi lets out a loud laugh. "No fucking way! That's what Esther said. So you two made up on Christmas, huh?"

I nod. "Yeah. But you can't tell anyone."

"I've got you bro, don't worry. Your secret is safe with me. And don't worry about Mitch, either. He is madly in-love you, man. He will say yes."

I smile brightly. "I know he is. Trust me, I am not letting him go anywhere this time." 

"Good. So, when are you going to pop the question?" 

--