Chapter 78

Life hadn't been fair to Mitch. 

All of my years of knowing Mitch, something bad always had to happen to him and I could never understand why. The world had just always been cruel to him like that. 

All of his boyfriends have wronged him, and Mitch was the first one to admit he had bad taste in men. Of course, when he told me this he made sure to point out that I had been the best boyfriend to him. I was the best despite moving away to LA and completely cutting him out of my life; ignoring all of his texts, calls, and letters. Good for me...

I felt guilty about how I treated him, and it wasn't until he opened up about his dating life that I realized just how much it had affected his perception on relationships. 

Maybe he had such bad taste in men because I was his first boyfriend.

It had been a couple of days since Mitch's scandal started and we'd barely spoken since I went to his house to comfort him. I've been trying to give him his space and sort through my thoughts. 

I listened to Austin and Avi's advice and didn't do anything stupid to Kyle. I simply sent him a word-y email, effectively firing from his position as my photographer. At first I thought it would be difficult to let him go after all of the time we've worked together and everything we've achieved together. 

Turns out it was one of the easiest things I've ever done.

I text Mitch, not expecting him to respond, and ask him to hang out at my place tonight. I needed him to get out of the house and keep living his life despite all of the drama. He had been cooped up in his bedroom all week and not showing up to work, which was driving Candice insane. However, she loved Mitch too much to ever let him know how much it was bothering her. Besides, she was his friend before his boss and knew he was going through a lot right now. 

So I send Mitch the message, hoping that he'll say yes, and get ready to start my day. It was a Saturday, one of my "off-days", which just mean't that I didn't fill my schedule and worked mostly from home. 

My phone goes off and I check the notification, suddenly feeling excited and nervous when I see that Mitch responds so quickly.

My Mitchy: Ugh, working today. :( 

I sigh.

Me: When can I see you?

My Mitchy: I don't know. Candice has been on my ass because I haven't been showing up to work this week. :( I promised her I would show up and work overtime. 

Me: How do you work overtime for modeling?

My Mitchy: Who knows, but I don't want to abuse my relationship with Candice. I'm happy that she's been a good friend, but she's still my boss.

Me: I get it, I get it. So you'll call me later then??

He doesn't respond immediately then, and I just assume he got busy and don't think much of it as I eat the breakfast Genevieve just prepared for me. 

"You haven't put your phone down once, Hoying. Someone special? Maybe Mitch?" Gen teases.

I blush. "It's Mitch."

"Ah," She smirks knowingly. "How is he doing? Poor thing. What a rough time he's been having."

I nod. "He's okay. I'm just," I sigh. "I'm just trying to get him out of the house, and I miss him so much. He's working a lot and super busy though."

"Have you thought about visiting?"

"I visited him a couple days ago." I remind her.

"But have you thought about visiting him at his work? It could be nice. Maybe even send him flowers?"