Chapter Twenty Two: Her Normal Family

This chapter is a little different, but I needed to tie loose ends before the story starts to get serious.

~~~

Third Person POV

***

The birds sang and wind blew calm breeze while the sun cast its bright rays down. All in all it was a beautiful day; a good day for a family to go out and enjoy the weather. He sat on the park bench observing the family of five as they laughed and make jest of each other. They were playing soccer – mother and two daughters against father and son. It was obvious the women were winning since the father pretended to miss the goal every time or the son would jump on the wrong side and let the women score.

The boy on the bench smiled sadly; they looked very happy. He was mostly watching the woman. Her dark hair was cut short into a bob framing her delicate and milky skin.

She dyed her hair, he thought in his head. She looked happier than he had ever seen her. But then again, he could not remember the last time he saw her happy. So lost in his thoughts, he did not noticed a soccer ball coming his way until his hand shot out and caught it from reflex. Looking up, he saw the family leaving and a little girl running toward him for the ball. She halted when she saw him, her eyes widening at his beauty.

“You’re so pretty like a princess.” She whispered forgetting the reason she came, the ball. She had dirty blond hair with blue eyes. She had inherited her mother milky skin.

He chuckled and smile softly at her. “Thank you, but I think you look more like a princess than I.” The little girl giggled, her smooth cheek turning red from embarrassment.

“What’s your name?” she asked him.

“Didn't your mother teach you not to talk to stranger?” He smirked playfully at her, avoiding her question.

“Not if she’s standing right there.” They both turned their heads; the woman was indeed standing with her back to them still talking to the others who were going to an ice scream stand.

“Smart.” He teased and she giggled in delight.

“How old are you?” He asked her.

“I am five and a half.” She answered proudly. Five and a half, he calculated in his head. That was before I left, he realized masking his hurt.

“How old are you?” The girl retorted, hands on her hips.

Watching her in amusement, he gazed at the woman and back to the little girl. “Sixteen.”

“You are so old. I can see gray hair.” She touched his silky hair giggling at her joke. He chuckled remembering saying those exact same words to someone.

“Do you want to play with us?” She asked still wanting the stranger company.

“I do not know how. Plus I doubt your mother would approve.” He told her truthfully although a small part of him wanted to play with them. Just to know what a ‘normal’ family felt like.

“You don’t know how?” Her eyes widened in shock like someone told her Santa Clause did not exist. “I can show you and I don’t think mommy would mind.” Before he could protest she grabbed his hands, cheek turning red and started shouting to her mother. Her loud shouting got the attention of her mother and the rest of her family.

The woman swayed when she saw who her daughter was standing by. She marched to them and ripped her daughter hands from the boy’s.

“Emily, didn't I tell you not to talk to strangers?” she yelled at the little girl pushing her behind her back.