~17~

It was about an hour until Patrick started to calm down. He was still crying, but, well, not as severely.

Pete's Mom and Dad tried to coo him back to sleep, but Patrick was far too disturbed to even dream of such a thing, so the three headed downstairs.

Pete lay in his bed, feeling more guilty than anything. He knew that the reason Patrick had woken up in such a screaming fit was due to his nerf bullet. Pete wondered how bad he'd hurt him, after all, he had hit him square on the nose. Maybe he'd caused a nose bleed, or worse, maybe he'd broken it.

Either way, he decided he might go downstairs and investigate.

Creeping out of bed, he tiptoed down the stairs and crept silently towards the kitchen, the only room in the house with the light on.

He spotted his Mom and Dad at the kitchen bench, silently drinking what he identified to be coffee. He hid behind the wall, just out of sight, so he could listen to their conversation.

"Do you think Pete heard that?" Pete's Mom asked.

Pete's Dad sighed. "Do you honestly think he slept through it?"

"True..." She murmured. "Do we need to talk to him about it?"

"Probably. But how are we going to explain it? I mean, he's too young to know the whole story..."

"Quite the conundrum." Pete's Mom stated.

Pete's Dad nodded. "Yeah. Where's Patrick?"

"In the lounge." She responded. "I just put some cartoons on. I'm hoping it'll distract him from what just happened.

"Did you take the remote?"

"Yep." Pete's Mom waved it around.

"Good. Is he doing better?"

Pete's Mom sighed. "I don't know Peter. He's really, really shaken up."

"Should we go sit with him then? It's probably better that he's not alone."

She nodded. "Let's go."

As they walked into the lounge, Pete heard some screaming. He stayed in his position, not having the guts to move, just listening. He felt awful for what happened, but he also felt that there was something that he didn't know. What were his parents referring to when they said that Pete was too young to know the full story?

Pete wasn't sure, but he knew that he needed to find out.