~25~

"How's the cast going Patty?"

Patrick didn't say anything as he attempted to cut up his dinner with only one hand.

Pete's Mom gently took his knife and fork and cut it up, before sliding it back towards him.

"T-thanks..." He murmured. "H-How was your birthday party P-Pete?"

Pete was a little suprised that Patrick was actually talking. "Um, it was good. Yeah. Good."

"T-That's good..."

"Let's talk a bit more about what happened before the party. Why did you grab Pete's back tire?"

"B-because he was gonna g-go to the bad place a-and I wanted to s-save him."

Pete scoffed. "Save me?"

"And what's the bad place?"

"The house in the woods."

"Oh.... I guess that makes sense..."

"What's the house in the woods?" Pete asked.

"Bad place." Patrick answered.

"But why's it bad?"

"Cause' it is!" Patrick snapped. "You are so dumb sometimes!"

"Patrick, that's not a nice thing to say." Pete's Mom corrected. "Can you say sorry please?"

"Sorry please." He murmured.

Pete scowled. "Why isn't anyone telling me what's going on?! I'm eight now! I'm old enough to know!"

Patrick got up from the table and trudged upstairs without another word.

"Peter, you're still too young. For now, all you need to know is that bad things happened in the house in the woods and you are NOT to go there. Ever."

"But that sucks!"

"Do I look like I care about what you think sucks?"

"Did Patrick go there? Is that where the bad things happened to him?"

"Look, finish your dinner and go to bed."

"But!"

"No buts. Dinner and bed."