~30~

"Alright, so, this is where you put your bag Patrick. See, this spot has your name on it!"

Pete was watching his teacher show Patrick around his classroom. He wasn't happy. This was the one place he could go where Patrick wasn't, and now he was here too. To mess everything up for him like usual.

"And here's your desk." Mrs Holden explained to him. "This is where you'll sit during class."

Patrick looked more terrified than anything. Pete's Mom had told Pete last night that Pete had never been to a real school before, so it was Pete's job to look after him. Pete honestly didn't care. The teacher would look out for him just fine.

"You have some very nice little boys and girls who sit here too." Mrs Holden smiled. "Ashley, Joe, Andy and Elisa."

Pete frowned. Why did Patrick get to sit next to Pete's best friend?

"Mrs Holden, can Patrick and I swap desks?" He asked mindlessly.

Mrs Holden shook her head. "We have a very strict seating plan Peter, you know that."

He frowned.

"Anyway, take your seats boys, class is going to begin in a minute. I'll go let everyone else in."

The teacher went around the corner, and Patrick grabbed Pete's hand.

"I-I'm s-scared P-Pete."

"What? Why?" He asked.

"B-Because o-of all t-the other k-kids."

Pete rolled his eyes. "They're fine. Don't be scared."

A flood of children came running into the room, and Patrick squeezed Pete's hand in terror.

"Ow." Pete muttered, pulling away and returning to his own desk.

"Alright children, we have a new student with us today." Mrs Holden smiled. "Patrick, do you want to introduce yourself?"

Patrick shook his head dramatically.

"Alright, let's get straight onto some multiplication then."

Pete generally enjoyed the lesson. He shot a few glances over at Patrick to see how he was doing, but didn't really see anything thanks to Andy who was blocking his view. The morning tea bell rang, and all the kids poured out of the classroom.

"Pete!" Andy smiled, walking over with his lunch box.

Pete grinned and they sat down in their spot. "How are you?"

"I'm good!" He chirped. "I don't think that Patrick is good though. He's still in the classroom. He's too scared to come outside."

Pete rolled his eyes. "Baby."

"Hey! Don't be mean!"

"Fine. I don't know why he's upset though."

"Weird. I think Mrs Holden might send him home."

"Seriously?" Pete asked.

Andy nodded. "Uh huh. He's made good friends with Joe."

Andy and Pete didn't talk to Joe. Joe was weird.

Pete scoffed. "Makes sense. The two weirdos would make good friends."

Andy frowned again, and Pete sighed. "Sorry."

The boys sat down to eat their morning tea, and Pete spotted Patrick and Joe sitting on the other side of the playground, playing with some marbles.

"Well, at least he's happy." Andy shrugged.

Pete frowned. "I guess."

"Why are you mad? It's good he's happy."

"Yeah." Pete muttered. "It's great."

Andy frowned. "Why don't we go and sit with them?"

"But you know we don't talk to Joe! Joe is weird!"

"I never thought he was that bad..."

Pete was glad that the bell rang. "Come on, let's go back in. I just can't wait for this day to be over."