~45~

Patrick came home after spending almost 4 months in the hospital.

When he did finally come home, Pete was told to stay far away from him. His Mom and Dad had put up a sheet in his bedroom to break the room into 2. And under no circumstances were they to talk without anyone else present.

Not that Pete ever had a chance to, Patrick was avoiding him like the plague, and hung around Pete's Mom like his life depended on it.

Pete tried to apologise a few more times, but Patrick just started crying and screaming, so he ended up just retreating to his bedroom.

It seemed like a lost cause, Pete decided. What on earth was he going to do? He wanted so, so desperately to make up for what he'd done, to help Patrick out now, for everything to go back to normal.

But it seemed that he wasn't going to get that chance.

Today during dinner, Patrick started crying halfway through his potatoes, for no reason in particular. He just started crying. Pete's Mom put her cutlery down and tried to hug him, but he screamed and then ran upstairs. Both of Pete's parents ran after him, leaving him alone with Andrew and Hillary.

"Why is he sad?" Andrew asked.

"I don't know." Pete murmured, although he did know just a little bit about why. He'd learnt a lot from reading Patrick's folder.

Patrick didn't come downstairs for the rest of the night, and Pete's Mom stayed with him until bedtime. Pete laid on his bunk, quietly listening to Patrick's sniffles from the other side of the white sheet that seperated their room now. He wanted to help, he wanted to help so badly, but he couldn't. Because he was the reason that Patrick was so sad.

But then something strange happened. He heard Patrick get up out of bed, and start to walk towards the door. Then he paused, turned around, and poked his head through the sheet to Pete's side of the room.

"G-Goodbye P-Pete..."