~46~

Goodbye? What did Patrick mean by goodbye? Pete was confused. Patrick slipped out of the room and closed the door behind him.

Pete spent a good 5 minutes thinking about what that meant, before he started to get a sinking feeling in his stomach. A really, really bad feeling.

He lept out of bed, and even though he knew he was supposed to go and wake his Mom and Dad up, he didn't have time for that. His feet pounded against the stairs as he ran down as fast as his legs would carry him into the kitchen, where he found Patrick.

He was standing there, on a chair that he'd grabbed from the table, and was reaching for a knife from the knife block.

"NO!" Pete shrieked, running forward and pulling Patrick off the chair, making both of them fall backwards. Patrick started crying, but Pete was just happy that he'd gotten here in time.

The light flicked on, and both of Pete's parents stood there, staring at the scene. Patrick tried to run out of the room, but Pete's Mom brought him back.

"What's going on?"

"H-He s-said goodbye and then he r-ran downstairs and then I followed and he was trying to reach a knife so I pulled him away so he couldn't!" Pete rushed, stumbling over his words.

Patrick started wailing and pulling against Pete's Mom, trying so, so very hard to get out of the room.

"Patty, Patty, shhh." She gently pulled him into a hug. "It's okay, it's okay."

"I-I w-wanna g-go away!" He cried. "I w-wanna g-go away s-so much!"

"No, no, you don't." She tried to tell him. "Me and Pete and Peter and Andrew and Hillary love you so, so, so much Pattycakes."

He wailed louder, before slumping into Pete's Mom and sobbing into her shoulder. She looked so worried as she gently patted his back.

Pete's Dad and Pete went back upstairs, and sat on the bottom bunk of Pete's room as they sat down.

"That was a very brave thing you did Pete. Thank you. You saved his life."

"I j-just didn't want him to d-die..."

"I know. Neither do we. So thank you. You were very brave and strong."

His cheeks flushed pink. "Thanks..."

"We're going to look after him, you just get some sleep."

"Okay..." He murmured. Pete didn't want to sleep. He wanted to go and help Patrick too. But he guessed that wasn't his job and just left it.