~28~

"Alright, so Patrick, you're going to start school next week." Pete's Mom announced.

Patrick stopped eating his dinner and looked up at her. "S-School?"

"Yeah." Pete's Mom told him. "School. It's the same school that Pete goes to."

"Is he going to be in my class Mom?" Pete asked with a mouthful of peas.

"First, don't talk with your mouth full. Second, no. Patrick's in the year younger."

"B-But we're the same age?" Patrick whispered.

"I know Pattycakes. You're just a little behind, so you're going to be in the younger class until you get caught up."

Pete saw some tears well in Patrick's eyes.

"Oh, don't cry Patty." Pete's Mom said, opening her arms for a hug. "It's okay."

"I-I'm s-such a d-d-dummy."

"No, no, that's not true at all."

"Y-Yeah it i-is...."

"I'll tell you what, you finish all your dinner, and I'll let you watch the news tonight."

Patrick sniffled. "Y-You're just t-trying to make me feel better."

"Well, I am Patty. I don't like seeing you sad."

"It's not working." He said, before leaving the table and going up the stairs.

Pete had never seen Patrick disobey his parents before, and he felt weird about it. It didn't fit his personality at all.

"Patrick, come back." Pete's Dad sighed

Patrick shook his head.

"Patrick, we dont leave the table until everyone's finished eating." Pete's Mom instructed. "Come back now."

Patrick begrudgingly sat down, and took the knife off the table, putting it in his pocket.

"What are you doing with that?" Pete's Dad asked.

"Protection." He stated simply.

"Patty, honey, you don't need to carry a knife around for protection at home." Pete's Mom said slowly.

"I just want to have it."

"No." Pete's Dad said firmly. "Hand it over."

Patrick pulled the knife out, and pointed at Pete's Dad, who immediately went wide-eyed.

"Patrick, put the knife down."

"No."

Pete's Mom came from behind and snatched it out of his hand. "That was very naughty Patrick. It's not okay to point knives at people."

"B-But he was gonna hurt me!"

"No, Patrick. I'm never going to hurt you." Pete's Dad sighed.

"That's what Dad said last time!"

Pete's Mom rubbed her face. "Alright, let's just... nobody is going to hurt you here. You can trust us Patrick."

"No I can't." He answered gravely.

"Yeah you can!" Andrew said.

Patrick shook his head. "I can't trust anybody."