~26~

When Patrick turned 8, Pete's Mom and Dad bought him a guitar.

Not a bass guitar like Pete's, but a normal guitar with six strings. It was acoustic, made of a brown wood and had a little decal around the sound hole.

Patrick was utterly obsessed with it and spent every second minute strumming at the strings, or just sitting with it on his lap.

"So does that mean we can start a band?" Andy asked before the usual Saturday music lessons.

Pete frowned. "Absolutely not."

"Why not?"

"Because we don't like him."

"You don't like him. I think he's cool."

Pete scowled. "If you're gonna be his friend, then you can't be my friend."

"That's stupid! Why can't I be friends with both of you?"

"Because I don't like him."

Andy huffed in annoyance. "Why not?"

"Because he's stupid!"

"He doesn't look stupid. He can play lots of cool notes already. You couldn't play anything until ages after you started lessons!" Andy rebutted.

Pete felt his face go red. "He's so stupid! He can't even read! Mom has to read stuff for him because he can't read!"

Andy pursed his lips, knowing that he wasn't going to win this argument. "Fine. Whatever. You're just being a bully Pete."

"I am not!"

"Am too. Bullying is where you treat somebody badly for no reason. And that's what you do to Patrick."

"I'M NOT A BULLY!" He shouted.

"Really?" Andy questioned. "Because you are."

"He's done so much bad stuff to me!" Pete exclaimed. "I'm just doing the same thing!"

"So you're being as bad as he is?"

"No!" Pete paused. "No, no, maybe? No..."

Andy frowned. "I don't wanna be friends with a bully. You have to start being nice, or we're not friends anymore."